Chick with paralyzed in feet and eyelid

Pugerpillar

Chirping
5 Years
May 21, 2018
One of my newly hatched chicks can't stand or open their eyes. I thought they were just premature and needed time to develop but it's been about a day since hatch and no improvement and I realized that they can't move their feet at all. I can manually move her feet and toes just fine, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them. They can't move their eyelids either. Is there any hope for her or will I have to put her down?
IMG_1031.JPG
IMG_1029.JPG

One of my newly hatched chicks can't stand or open their eyes. I thought they were just premature and needed time to develop but it's been about a day since hatch and no improvement and I realized that they can't move their feet at all. I can manually move her feet and toes just fine, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them. They can't move their eyelids either. Is there any hope for her or will I have to put her down?View attachment 1855449 View attachment 1855456
I am so sorry.
Did you hatch this chick?
If so where did the eggs from?

What's on the top of its head? Is that a scab?

Last edited:
This chick doesn't look normal.
Screenshot_20190724-191851.png

I am afraid you might have to cull it.

I am so sorry.
Did you hatch this chick?
If so where did the eggs from?

What's on the top of its head? Is that a scab?
I hatched the chick in the incubator and the eggs were from my chickens. My mom assisted with the hatching process and that caused the chick to bleed, the thing on her head is probably a dry blood soaked membrane. The rushed hatching probably caused a lot of issues but it seems like the chick would have been crippled regardless.

I hatched the chick in the incubator and the eggs were from my chickens. My mom assisted with the hatching process and that caused the chick to bleed, the thing on her head is probably a dry blood soaked membrane. The rushed hatching probably caused a lot of issues but it seems like the chick would have been crippled regardless.
I'm sorry.

What do you feed your adult birds? And how old are they?

Also...one more question.
Do you have at least one calibrated thermometer in the bator and a salt tested humidity gauge?

Also...one more question.
Do you have at least one calibrated thermometer in the bator and a salt tested humidity gauge?
We didn't have a humidity meter for the entire incubation period and the thermometer was a simple mercury one. This is our first time incubating and we don't have much supplies other than the bator itself. I was surprised when they actually started hatching since the incubation quality was probably pretty poor.

Back
Top Bottom