Chicken coop build 8’ x 20’

Is that feeder custom made? The design looks similar to other "hooded" feeders, but it's not like anything I've seen.

The feeder is a Coopworx Silo feeder. I wanted something that was elevated off the ground in case we flood, and also somewhat rodent proof. I am very impressed with it. I was going through a tremendous amount of wasted feed before and this has really helped. And I was really tired of the chickens jumping up on top of my old feeder and pooping in the food. This feeder has solved all that.

It’s a US company and designed by a father-daughter team. I’m an entrepreneur and own a US manufacturing company so am always happy to support other small businesses like my own. It’s expensive; though, I’ll make up the money in feed not wasted.

We are starting our chicken coop finally! We currently have 5 pullets between 9-13 weeks. They are currently in a TSC coop that was only supposed to be used short term. My husband had a landscape project that was a priority and then COVID went through our family. We started the foundation yesterday. The plan is to build a 6’ x 8’ coop with 20’ of run that is inspired by Carolina Coops. Hoping to have a flock of 12 when completed.

This is our first coop build and we are new to chickens so I’m sure we’ll make some mistakes along the way. We are in the PNW right along a river. Predators include raccoons, coyotes, and the neighbor’s dogs. We are building in a treed area on our property. We love the trees and get eagles, osprey, hawks, and owls that roost/perch in the trees. I haven’t done the research, but I know at least the eagles and hawks are a predator. The run will be entirely covered in 1/2” hardware cloth and the chickens will not be allowed to free range.

My daughter’s boyfriend will be staying with us for a couple of weeks starting August 5th. The plan is to have the entire thing built by the time he leaves.

We started the foundation yesterday. We did two rows of 4x4s using pressure treated wood fastened with 6” deck screws. We first leveled the ground and then added some sand before leveling. We used a very fancy laser thing that beeps (not sure of name) that ensured everything was perfectly level. Here are some pics.

View attachment 3198208View attachment 3198210View attachment 3198212View attachment 3198213View attachment 3198214

We should finish up the foundation this evening. My husband works weekends so that limits our time. We have sand or topsoil available to fill in the foundation. My husband thinks sand on bottom and then topsoil on top. Is one better than the other?

We are starting our chicken coop finally! We currently have 5 pullets between 9-13 weeks. They are currently in a TSC coop that was only supposed to be used short term. My husband had a landscape project that was a priority and then COVID went through our family. We started the foundation yesterday. The plan is to build a 6’ x 8’ coop with 20’ of run that is inspired by Carolina Coops. Hoping to have a flock of 12 when completed.

This is our first coop build and we are new to chickens so I’m sure we’ll make some mistakes along the way. We are in the PNW right along a river. Predators include raccoons, coyotes, and the neighbor’s dogs. We are building in a treed area on our property. We love the trees and get eagles, osprey, hawks, and owls that roost/perch in the trees. I haven’t done the research, but I know at least the eagles and hawks are a predator. The run will be entirely covered in 1/2” hardware cloth and the chickens will not be allowed to free range.

My daughter’s boyfriend will be staying with us for a couple of weeks starting August 5th. The plan is to have the entire thing built by the time he leaves.

We started the foundation yesterday. We did two rows of 4x4s using pressure treated wood fastened with 6” deck screws. We first leveled the ground and then added some sand before leveling. We used a very fancy laser thing that beeps (not sure of name) that ensured everything was perfectly level. Here are some pics.

View attachment 3198208View attachment 3198210View attachment 3198212View attachment 3198213View attachment 3198214

We should finish up the foundation this evening. My husband works weekends so that limits our time. We have sand or topsoil available to fill in the foundation. My husband thinks sand on bottom and then topsoil on top. Is one better than the other?
Do you have plans you are willing to share/sell?

I bought the cheapest roll of linoleum I could find. I glued it down and built the walls on top to stop any lifting of the edges.
My coop is also Carolina coop inspired, the Americana. The hen house does have linoleum but i found a bit of moisture along the edges after heavy rains. I ended up pulling up the linoleum along one edge to look underneath where it was wet. When that happens, i put a few rocks underneath to get some fresh air to let it dry and it has been effective. I have zero overhang of my roof tho. Good luck, i love the river view! 🐓❤️

Sloping away from the perimeter is good.

You might even include a diversion ditch uphill of the coop to direct water around it.
I wish i did!! My coop floods 90% with heavy rain. Fortunately it drains fairly quickly. When that happens tho, i put pallets down. French drain is my next big project. Wish i thought of it before the build. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom