Chicken coop plans

Pics
Regarding digging down for hardware cloth; I hear that going down is better than going out. Can you let us know why out is better. Is it because it's recommended 12" out and you share 18 - 24? Sorry, I'm starting a new build soon and gleaning from any and all advice I can get. Thanks in advance!
Digging down is difficult/near impossible in some areas. OP mentioned rocky ground, I have a ton of tree roots that run under the run space.

Maintenance is also far easier on a horizontal apron as you can check the condition of it without having to dig it up.

I think in an absolute perfect set up you'd actually go out and down (diagonal) and go like 16-24", but the amount of work to do that (or the need for heavy equipment) makes it impractical for most people.

I have a specific question. Do I really need a pop door? They’re using the man door and that’s working fine. I was wondering if I had to have one if this is working?
That's up to you. If rain/snow can be fully excluded because the door is sufficiently covered by roof or overhang, and the door can be safely propped open so wind can't accidentally blow it shut, then I would say that's probably fine to use the human door.
Also, is there a way to lure them into the coop at dusk without having to lock them in the coop for days?
Treats or feed, if they're tamed to you and will come for them. I've been hand feeding my chicks twice a day so if I hold my hand out when they're close by they'll come to look for food, but I wouldn't say they're reliable about it like adults would be since they're so easily distracted.

Tuesday will be a week they’ve been outside and everything is going well. They’re a lot of fun.

just a few notes:

They’re using the roost, looks like the front one of the 3 I put in. I’m assuming as they get bigger they may need to spread to the back two as well. I’m pretty sure they’re all using the roosts because the poop on the poop deck started only on the left side but now it goes straight across, end to end.

I’m using a plastic 5 in 1 tool for spackling to scrape. The poop deck is a solid PVC board we had left over from a huge arch window my husband installed here last year. This material works phenomenally for scraping. I also have a long kitty litter type scooper that can get to the back of the poop deck because it is deep but haven’t had to yet because they all use the front roost.

They have been going inside the coop and cuddling near the nesting boxes or under the poop deck nook. It’s so cute. I think I will plant to hang feeder and waterer under that nook in the winter if we have days they cannot use the run. We will be using thick plastic to winterize and hope they can be outside most days. We chose more cold hearty birds.

The man door is working fine for our set up, we won’t need a pop door to the run, at least until it gets colder. We will be cutting something in for them to access the back most part of the yard for free ranging but I have some work to do back there to make it safe for them, yet.

We have done a few snacks and they’re so much fun to watch when they find a worm or grub. Im really glad we left the run dirt.

the hardest chore is carrying the waterer back to them when I fill it because it’s a 5 gallon galvanized. I don’t ever fill it all the way because I can barely carry it. I pour it out and refresh the water reservoir daily. I washed/scrubbed it out on Friday night for the first time and you can tell they were grateful for a clean fresh waterer.

Overall I’m really enjoying having them and just learning everything as I go. I’ve been adding little odds and ends to their run for enrichment as I go.

We are working on desensitizing my GSD to them by having her stand at the open run door while I do my chicken chores (me in between her with a solid sit and stay command). She is doing very well with that. I wouldn’t trust her with them alone but she has enough self control that I think eventually she will be safe around them with loose human oversight.

My kids are really enjoying them, too. My 3 year old likes to go in and try to feed them their food and asks “are ya hungry, chickies”. He laughs at them. It’s a lot of fun.

the hardest chore is carrying the waterer back to them when I fill it because it’s a 5 gallon galvanized. I don’t ever fill it all the way because I can barely carry it. I pour it out and refresh the water reservoir daily.
If you're refilling it daily save your back, no need to put more than a gallon at a time, 6 birds don't drink all that much.

I feel dumb because I finally figured out that I can fill it daily during the warmer months very easily and I don’t need to lug it back and forth super full 😂😩🙈
My solution was to remind hubby every weekend to fill the waterer. He can lug it out and back. Mine's not even that big but water gets heavy, fast.

In the winter we carry water out in 1 gal jugs since the hose outlets are all covered up, but I can handle 1 gallon at a time.

Back
Top Bottom