Aug 6, 2019
Winnsboro, TX
Hi, I’m an East Texas stay at home grandmother. I live on the lake in Winnsboro. I spend most my time with my 10 yr old granddaughter. We are both artists. We love he outdoors, all animals, and Anything that sparkles. We hate snakes and housework.

My family had a farm until I was 8 so I haven’t had a chicken in 45(ish) years. My granddaughter and I are planning our first flock together. We have old coop on the property that we are going to fix up ourselves. Right now we are trying to learn as much as we can and store up supplies before we jump in without enough knowledge to protect our flock.

Since our coop is smaller we are thinking about something like Silkies or Easter Eggers, depending on the degree of knowledge needed and the demand in our area. My favorite thing as a child was checking the incubator every day and can’t wait to share that excitement with her someday, and she would like to join 4H and raise a show chicken.

We found backyard chickens.com when we stumbled onto a Pinterest article from another East Texan raising show chickens.

How exciting! I got a flock of bantams this year. Before that, I always had large fowl. I am loving the bantams! They are little, so you can have more in a small space. My favorites are my Japanese and my polish. My polish are my friendliest birds. Bantams lay adorable little eggs too, which are so cute for breakfast. Some breeds lay better than others. I have silkies and they are nice as well, but mine are large fowl and they were supposed to be bantams. I have a couple of large fowl easter eggers, but this batch of eastet eggers was more aggresive than others I have had in the past. Their eggs are beautiful.I used to have large fowl buff orpingtons and they were super friendly like the polish. Good luck with your new flock!

What a wonderful experience you are embarking on with your grandaughter!
These will be things she will remember for the rest of her life, this project may hook her on chickens for a lifetime.
My Mom had chickens, her mom had chickens...and i have almost always had chickens.
Post some pictures of your coop project, we would love to see it in the coop section and offer ideas.
Welcome to the backyard!

How exciting! I got a flock of bantams this year. Before that, I always had large fowl. I am loving the bantams! They are little, so you can have more in a small space. My favorites are my Japanese and my polish. My polish are my friendliest birds. Bantams lay adorable little eggs too, which are so cute for breakfast. Some breeds lay better than others. I have silkies and they are nice as well, but mine are large fowl and they were supposed to be bantams. I have a couple of large fowl easter eggers, but this batch of eastet eggers was more aggresive than others I have had in the past. Their eggs are beautiful.I used to have large fowl buff orpingtons and they were super friendly like the polish. Good luck with your new flock!

Each time I think I've found a favorite another comes along and I changes my mind. TSC handed my granddaughter their smallest Bantam the other day after their delivery and when it latched on to her finger I didn't think I would get out of there without it. Unfortunately we weren't ready to bring any home yet.

Do you separate your Bantams from the large fowl? I've read that they need to be separated, but I have noticed that many people are raising both.

Back
Top Bottom