Chicken had bubbly eye

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
4 year old Easter egg had one bubbly eye for a little bit. It seemed to go away. I don’t notice any other symptoms, no discharge. She’s also eating and drinking fine. Since she’s in a cage, she’s a bit stressed so her beak is open slightly, but I can’t hear any audible wheezing or coughing.

I have her quarantined just in case. And I disinfected the coops waterer and feeder, and changed the nesting material. Since she’s acting fine now and has no other symptoms, should I bring her back out, or should I keep her quarantined for a little and get her on antibiotics just in case?

Since she’s in a cage, she’s a bit stressed so her beak is open slightly, but I can’t hear any audible wheezing or coughing.

4 year old Easter egg had one bubbly eye for a little bit. It seemed to go away. I don’t notice any other symptoms, no discharge. She’s also eating and drinking fine. Since she’s in a cage, she’s a bit stressed so her beak is open slightly, but I can’t hear any audible wheezing or coughing.

I have her quarantined just in case. And I disinfected the coops waterer and feeder, and changed the nesting material. Since she’s acting fine now and has no other symptoms, should I bring her back out, or should I keep her quarantined for a little and get her on antibiotics just in case?

Since she’s in a cage, she’s a bit stressed so her beak is open slightly, but I can’t hear any audible wheezing or coughing.
I'd put her back with her flock, it sounds like she's stressed from being separated.

I would not give any medications if she has no symptoms.

Sometimes a bird can get dirt, feed, pollen, dust, injury, a peck, etc., in or to the eye which can cause the eye to foam up or bubble.
If it disappeared on its own, then likely she had dirt in the eye and it bubbled out.

I wouldn't worry about it since she seems to be fine now.

I'd put her back with her flock, it sounds like she's stressed from being separated.

I would not give any medications if she has no symptoms.

Sometimes a bird can get dirt, feed, pollen, dust, injury, a peck, etc., in or to the eye which can cause the eye to foam up or bubble.
If it disappeared on its own, then likely she had dirt in the eye and it bubbled out.

I wouldn't worry about it since she seems to be fine now.
Thanks. I’m just paranoid about Mycoplasma/MG. Although, if she did have it, I heard it typically presents with coughing and nose discharge, and other symptoms. I’ll keep and eye on her.

Thanks. I’m just paranoid about Mycoplasma/MG. Although, if she did have it, I heard it typically presents with coughing and nose discharge, and other symptoms. I’ll keep and eye on her.
You haven't added new birds to your existing flock have you?

Yes, usually there's more symptoms when dealing with MG.

You haven't added new birds to your existing flock have you?

Yes, usually there's more symptoms when dealing with MG.
No, and they do not have access to any outside birds, lakes, or anything.

My coop is also cleaned of most of the poop every day, in the run and in the sleeping roost.

She also has normal poop, by the way.

No, and they do not have access to any outside birds, lakes, or anything.

My coop is also cleaned of most of the poop every day, in the run and in the sleeping roost.

She also has normal poop, by the way.
Then unlikely you would suddenly have MG in your flock.

I'd bet she got something in her eye. Sometimes if they scratch their face, some dirt could get into the eye, that would cause the eye to water and bubble up trying to bubble out foreign material.

I think she's fine. You take very good care of your girls:)

Then unlikely you would suddenly have MG in your flock.

I'd bet she got something in her eye. Sometimes if they scratch their face, some dirt could get into the eye, that would cause the eye to water and bubble up trying to bubble out foreign material.

I think she's fine. You take very good care of your girls:)
I feel like she’s been behaving differently, more alert and with her eyes a bit more watery than before. Bubbles appeared in her eyes and she sometimes has runny nose. The bubbles went away and were only a few in the corner of her eye, not foamy. Her eyes are clear otherwise. She still eats and drinks water and runs around. No persistent coughing sneezing or wheezing.

Should I take her to the vet?

I feel like she’s been behaving differently, more alert and with her eyes a bit more watery than before. Bubbles appeared in her eyes and she sometimes has runny nose. The bubbles went away and were only a few in the corner of her eye, not foamy. Her eyes are clear otherwise. She still eats and drinks water and runs around. No persistent coughing sneezing or wheezing.

Should I take her to the vet?
Yes, I think you should.

Back
Top Bottom