Chicken has sour crop??

TheHappyHen678

Chirping
Nov 12, 2023
Hi, I have a blue andulusian whose crop is really swollen, and it feels like it's full of liquid, so we brought her inside. Shes been like this for a while, but we didnt think anything about it because other than that she was fine, as in she was energetic and had a red comb like wveryone else. But we finally brought her inside because she wss super front weighted and had trouble getting onto the roosting bar, and we finally realized it probably wasnt normal. To check if she had sour or impacted we didn't let her have access to food, but she did have access to water and also wood shavings. She's been off food for over 24 hours and her crop is still full and swollen. I know I should feed her, but I don't know what to feed her. Her crop does feel squishy, but it also feels like there is a bit of so.ething in there, almost like.... really fine grit/chick grit but not as rough. Her breath does smell really bad and she does make a gurgling sound so.etimes. She also makes weird neck movements like she's trying to swallow so.ething. I'm pretty sure it's sour crop, but this is our first experience with a crop issue, and with the small amount of stuff in her crop, I'm not sure if it's also impacted crop or just sour crop. So what should I treat her for? How would I treat her? What should I feed her? Sorry for dumping all these questions... I just legitimately don't know.

I’m sorry about your chicken. Crop issues can be hard to mitigate and sometimes it’s a combination of things you’ll have to work out and treat. You might find this article really helpful. It’s a longer read, but is super thorough and has some great information in it. This one is a little shorter but still pretty informative and helpful to figure out what you’re dealing with. I’m having to work out some crop issues myself right now that I’ve never dealt with before. It can be tough, but give these articles a read and hang in there.

Back
Top Bottom