Chicken laying 2x a day

Krazychickem

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2024
Hello, I have 4.5 month old chickens and our Orpington is laying twice a day about 2-3x a week with one egg most days and usually skips one day laying. Is this dangerous for her? I know this isn’t normal but I know it’s her because she’s the only one that lays brown eggs. She’s my favorite so I really hope not too bad for her health.

Hiya, and welcome to BYC! :frow

That is very unusual! Some say chickens have X number of eggs in their lifetime to lay. I'm not sure I believe that totally, but perhaps laying so much so young in her life could affect her reproductive organs due to her producing eggs so fast.

If you're not leaving lights on at night or doing anything to get them to lay more, then there really isn't too much you can do about it except make sure they're well fed with a layer feed or all flock type with oyster shell on the side in a dish or feeder.

Hello, I have 4.5 month old chickens and our Orpington is laying twice a day about 2-3x a week with one egg most days and usually skips one day laying. Is this dangerous for her? I know this isn’t normal but I know it’s her because she’s the only one that lays brown eggs. She’s my favorite so I really hope not too bad for her health.
It is not unusual for them to sometimes lay 2 eggs in one day when they are pullets as well as laying a double yolk. She should stop as she gets older.

:frow hi and welcome from SE Missouri, the Show-Me state! Your girl is most likely just working the kinks out of her new egg-laying equipment, she should get it sorted out soon! Keep us posted as time goes on, say in a month or so, she should be laying more normally and consistently. Let us know if this enthusiasm continues though!

Back
Top Bottom