Chicken math is calling!

Pics

BGcoop

Crowing
5 Years
Aug 5, 2018
šŸ˜¬I ordered 20 chicks that arrived 2/28. 20 was more than I wanted but due to shipping minimums thatā€™s what I ended up with. So to be responsible I sold a few to my neighbor(this was agreed upon at time of order) and then after that had a coworker purchase some. Well chicken math hit my coworker too and they ended up taking more than I thought so now I just have 9left. I just found out my local feed store just had chicks arrive today!
9 is plenty.
I donā€™t need more than 9 chicks.
My baby is leaving for college this fall so I definitely donā€™t need that many eggs for just my husband and I.
I do not need any more chicks.
But I ordered marans and Iā€™m pretty positive all those were taken, so I could just go look to see if they have any of those inā€¦.
Really, the 9 I have seem healthy, itā€™s not like I should plan to lose any before they start laying.
But what if some are boys, they are only 90% accurate at sexing themā€¦
9 is fiiiiiiine.
The store probably already sold any marans they had anyway.
9 will be good, I can order again next year.
The store opens at 7 tomorrowā€¦..

You guys should be so proud of me! I did not go to the store at 7:00 this morning.

I waited until 10:00!šŸ˜† oopsšŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø
image.jpg

Ok Iā€™m really done now. No more chicks this year.

šŸ˜¬I ordered 20 chicks that arrived 2/28. 20 was more than I wanted but due to shipping minimums thatā€™s what I ended up with. So to be responsible I sold a few to my neighbor(this was agreed upon at time of order) and then after that had a coworker purchase some. Well chicken math hit my coworker too and they ended up taking more than I thought so now I just have 9left. I just found out my local feed store just had chicks arrive today!
9 is plenty.
I donā€™t need more than 9 chicks.
My baby is leaving for college this fall so I definitely donā€™t need that many eggs for just my husband and I.
I do not need any more chicks.
But I ordered marans and Iā€™m pretty positive all those were taken, so I could just go look to see if they have any of those inā€¦.
Really, the 9 I have seem healthy, itā€™s not like I should plan to lose any before they start laying.
But what if some are boys, they are only 90% accurate at sexing themā€¦
9 is fiiiiiiine.
The store probably already sold any marans they had anyway.
9 will be good, I can order again next year.
The store opens at 7 tomorrowā€¦..
This is hilarious. Nine is enough!! :highfive: Sure it is!

voices.jpg

You people are just silly, there is no ā€œmathā€ involved!!
Hereā€™s an example..
We had 8 hens, pretty little girls scratching in the yard. I go to work, a few days later I come home and see 8 hens scratching in the yard, and 4 hens in the coop, and a rooster. Itā€™s okay though, since they just showed up.
After the weekend I go back to work, come home at the end of the week and look out in the field to see 12 hens and a roo scratching the grass looking for goodies, but there are 9 nuggets following them around, so cute when they are learning to scratch. Being as they just appeared Iā€™m not concerned, since nobody complains overly much if they find a coin on the ground, itā€™s free.
It goes on like this for months, and even years, have even had turkeys appear and Guineas.
So, in conclusion, it has nothing to do with math, I go to work and when I come home the wormhole in my property drops off a few more animals. Itā€™s a phenomenon that I donā€™t question.

Dorm food is universally terrible. If your college-bound children have access to a kitchen, they might still appreciate the occasional care package of fresh eggs.

Ok Iā€™m really done now. No more chicks this year.

Adorable! ā¤ļø

Butā€¦and I acknowledge Iā€™m not an expertā€¦Iā€™m not seeing any Marans?

You should go back and get some. šŸ˜‰

I have 4, which is also enough. . .

Except that 2 of them don't really lay reliably. . .

And 1 is already 4 years old. . .

So I ordered 2 pullets. . .

And they KNEW about chicken math, and sent an email asking me if I wanted a third one, which was SO not fair. . .

So a bigger coop it is, and 7 chickens.

I completely sympathize. There are so many chickens to have, and so little self-control, I mean, TIME. So little TIME.

So you already have over 50 "on the ground," and have at least another 74 "on the way" ... either in the incu or "to be shipped."

Sounds about right.

What kinds are all these?
The ones on the way are 6 LF blue Ameraucana, 6 bantam silver Ameraucana, 12 LF silver Ameraucana.

In the yard are 5 Chamois Spitzhauben, 7 silver Phoenix, 3 golden Phoenix, 3 Spitzhauben/Ameraucana, 6 Gold Spitzhauben, 3 black Ameraucana, 3 blue Ameraucana, 4 lavender Ameraucana, 2 bantam EE, 3 bantam cochins, 1 Mille d'uccle, 2 silver laced English Orpingtons, 3 silver Sebrite, 3 gold Sebrite, 1 RIR bantam 7 rosecomb, 3 Ameraucana mix color bantam, 1 white Phoenix, 1 Phoenix mix that is wheaten, 2 silver Spitzhauben, 3 juvenile Spitzhauben I might be missing one or two. I did miss two 1 lavender American Orpington and one lavender mottled American Orpington. Oops and some mixed bantams most likely Sebrite gold and silver Spitzhauben or RIR bantam and silver Spitzhauben. Lol, I'll get pictures of those soon.

Eggs in the incubator are 8 bantam eggs, 10 white eggs(Spitzhauben mix), 8 light tan(English Orpingtons), 20 blue to blue green eggs plus 4 blue eggs under a cochin broody.

My finger is tired from clicking the laughie button.

Anywho, I was so proud of myself that I was really selective to get numbers way down before our move a few months back. What a tough minded chicken farmer! So strong, so brave!
Was it my fault everyone had gone broody? Noo, not my decision!
I got the adults subtracted down until everyone was a named birdie. Even if one was "Purple Leg Band".
When our new neighbors asked how many chickens we have....
Umm...
About 20 adults?? (I was good, right?) Do chicks count?
A month later I filled 4 cages with a few birds in each to sell to a guy.
Afterwards, looked out in the yard and see the same 20 chickens, give or take. šŸ¤”

Y'all don't even know how funny you are. I have come to the conclusion, through careful scientific experimentation and much trial and error, that it takes at least 25 hens and a rooster to maintain control of ticks and chiggers on our property and not one bird less. Four? Seven? Pleeeeeze! Less than 20 and the bugs would eat the chickens!

Chicken math has hit me to
Started with 5 as town ordinance, now i can have 8.
Realized mixed breeds couldnt be shown and knew someone looking for a started flock.
Then i got 5 more, but one was rehomed for eating eggs.
So then i started hatching.
First batch didnt do well
Second i got 6 out of 7, 4 were males and one passed.
Third only one chick made it.
Fourth hatch,which is my current im pretty sure 3 out of 5 are cockerels.

So now i need to hatch more cause im still at 5.
Yep. Definitely time to set more eggs! And chicken math does get exponentially more complicated when you factor in hatching your own! The formula I used for hatching my own went something like this:

I want 3 hens, if I incubate I might have up to a 50% loss rate, so I need to set at least 6 eggs, but half of them might be males so I need to set at least 12 eggs, and if I take into count the inevitable deaths that could occur I should probably add another 2-3 eggs, but 15 is such an odd number to have so Iā€™d better bump that up to 18(dozen and a half- we are talking about eggs here and they come in cartons of that size for a reason) and since 18 is so close to 20 I might as well just do that- Iā€™m sure I can sell any extra chicks or I can butcher them if I have too many, so if Iā€™m planning on butchering anyway I might as well just set 24 eggs(again working with the dozens here)ā€¦.and that is how I ended up setting 50 eggs my first time hatchingšŸ˜†šŸ˜†šŸ˜¬

Back
Top Bottom