Chicken newbie here

TootiesMom

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2024
Hi all,
I'm on this site to learn the how-to's of raising chickens. We're considering a mobile chicken fencing situation that I can haul from field to field and keep a coop attached to it for them to go in at night. Any suggestions are very welcome! Thanks in advance!

TootiesMom

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

So glad you decided to join us. Chicken Tractors and their enclosures need to be quite predator proof, I've never used them so I can't give you too much advice. You might stop by this search page in our Learning Center here on BYC on others builds and techniques... https://www.backyardchickens.com/se...tor&t=ams_article&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance

Best wishes with all your plans and welcome to our community!

hello!
4EC8E971-E394-4076-82A2-9AD72BFCB9C9.jpeg

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

Yet one more stationary coop chicken keeper here. I fenced in 1/3 acre of my property for my birds to enjoy so they would have plenty of space to always be on green grass along with the predator protection offered by the fence. There is enough cover in their pen that I've only lost a single young pullet to a hawk in over 6 years of keeping them in this arrangement. Never lost a single bird in the pen to a ground predator.

I have both (a stationary coop and a "coupe" on wheels.) We have a livestock guardian dog, so I can't really attest to the mobile one being less predator proof or not, but if you live in a cold climate, I think you'll have to take the coop being off the ground and insulating it (with adequate venting) into consideration.

I have used a lot of portable electric fencing. If you are on pasture and flat ground, I definitely recommend Premier 1 electric poultry netting. It's not the cheapest option, but the posts and stakes are the best quality. Even if you don't end up moving your coop around, it is good to use to keep your chickens safe(r) (from ground predators).

Keeping your chickens in the netting might be a little tricky, though. You might need to clip one wing, or get a heavier, less flight-worthy breed to not have to deal with escapees.

I hope your new set-up works out great! Let us know how it's going or if any other questions pop up! Welcome to BackYard Chickens!

Back
Top Bottom