Chicken not laying!

chickencrazed0101

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2024
My chicken just started laying a little over a month ago and was laying about 5 eggs/week! For over a week now she has completely STOPPED laying eggs! She hasn’t been wanting to leave her nesting box and acts antisocial (she’s usually the most social, chatty chicken!!) I thought it might have been too hot out, her and my other chickens had been panting, but I took extra precautions and did things to help them stay cool.. she still hasn’t started back laying? Could there be something else going on? What do I look for?? Thanks in advance!!

Not wanting to leave nesting box,,,, sounds like she may be broody.
When they go broody, they don't eat much, which translates to not much egg production.
Hot weather temps can also be a factor in reduced laying.
How are your other chickens??
Take your chicken out of the nesting spot, and feel her crop. If it is empty, that means she is not eating. Set her in open run area, and block access to the nesting. Then try feeding her feed, and some scratch, if you have. Do have cool water next to feed.
I posted this statement many times in different postings. but I will do it again here.
In hot weather, chickens need cool water to drink. If the water is too warm, chickens, regardless how thirsty will not drink HOT WATER. even though it is right next to them.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Yep I agree, sorry but you have a broody hen.
We separate ours into a dog cage on top of upside down flowerpots so she can’t reach the ground. 24/7 for about 5 days and nights. Sounds cruel but you need to get her temperature down.
Hope this works if not there are others ways to get her out of it but I recommend you don’t leave her in the nesting box as broodyness is contagious and she will eat a lot less, if at all, ditto drink.
Bonne chance,
Calins

Not wanting to leave nesting box,,,, sounds like she may be broody.
When they go broody, they don't eat much, which translates to not much egg production.
Hot weather temps can also be a factor in reduced laying.
How are your other chickens??
Take your chicken out of the nesting spot, and feel her crop. If it is empty, that means she is not eating. Set her in open run area, and block access to the nesting. Then try feeding her feed, and some scratch, if you have. Do have cool water next to feed.
I posted this statement many times in different postings. but I will do it again here.
In hot weather, chickens need cool water to drink. If the water is too warm, chickens, regardless how thirsty will not drink HOT WATER. even though it is right next to them.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome
Thank you so much!! I’ll try blocking her off! My other chickens haven’t started laying just yet, she’s my only one that was laying.

I agree.Sounds like you have a broody hen.If they're broody they'll quit laying even after you've gathered her last egg.Break her of it .My chickens aren't laying good .Its too hot for one to be hanging out in the nest box and it not laying.Only a broody hen would do that
I’ll try to keep her out of the hen house:) hopefully it’ll help! Thank you!!!!!

Yeah she hasn’t been eating hardly at all from what I can tell!!!! She gets upset and moody when I take her out of the nesting box, but sounds like that’s what needs to be done:) Thank you!!

Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Here's how I deal with breaking broodies:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/broody-breaking-ala-aart.77915/

Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Here's how I deal with breaking broodies:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/broody-breaking-ala-aart.77915/
That’s EXACTLY how she’s acting!

Back
Top Bottom