Chicken run build. Don’t want to dig ☹️

Lulu-vt

Songster
Jun 19, 2024
Northern Vermont
I’m in Vermont. I would really love to NOT dig down 4’ + for my support posts for the run. Even when I do that, there are frost heaves and they move. Can I put a frame on top of the ground to build my run on?
I could make a hardware cloth skirt on the outside.
Thoughts?
It would be 10x18 with a one sided slanted roof.

If you make the roof with a steep pitch and use metal or polycarbonate roofing over purlins, that would keep the roofing assembly somewhat flexible for the run to float and move. I would lay down a trench of compacted crusher run along where your base plate is going to be to keep it from sitting on soaking wet soil and prolong the life of the pressure treated lumber.
I would just keep an eye on the seams where hardware cloth came together to make sure that the movement of the run didn't cause separation.
Attaching some extra cross bracing between posts and bottom plates will help keep the framing from racking and swaying.

If you make the roof with a steep pitch and use metal or polycarbonate roofing over purlins, that would keep the roofing assembly somewhat flexible for the run to float and move. I would lay down a trench of compacted crusher run along where your base plate is going to be to keep it from sitting on soaking wet soil and prolong the life of the pressure treated lumber.
I would just keep an eye on the seams where hardware cloth came together to make sure that the movement of the run didn't cause separation.
Attaching some extra cross bracing between posts and bottom plates will help keep the framing from racking and swaying.
Awesome. Thanks! That’s what I’ll do. I appreciate all your building advice!

This is great advice. Another possible solution may be those plastic deck framing supports. That allows you to keep PT wood off the ground entirely.

We live in an area with equal amounts clay soil and limestone, so I actively avoid digging any time I can.

The only other thing to consider is the run lifting and shifting with wind. This can be dealt with by using something like trampoline screws in the ground to tether it.

I’m a bit south of you in northeastern PA. We built our run with out digging. The long sides are based on ground contact pressure treated then stained 6x6’s and the shorter sides the same but 4x4’s. It’s well braced as you can see.

Not attached to the shed in anyway so it can float and shift if needed. There’s a 2 ft apron of 1/2’ hardware cloth on top of the ground under a thin layer of mulch.

The whole run is on a base of compacted modified gravel.

It’s been in place just about a year now and there’s a tiny bit of settling gone on where you can see a slight ripple in some panels of the hardware cloth.

IMG_4882.jpeg

I’m a bit south of you in northeastern PA. We built our run with out digging. The long sides are based on ground contact pressure treated then stained 6x6’s and the shorter sides the same but 4x4’s. It’s well braced as you can see.

Not attached to the shed in anyway so it can float and shift if needed. There’s a 2 ft apron of 1/2’ hardware cloth on top of the ground under a thin layer of mulch.

The whole run is on a base of compacted modified gravel.

It’s been in place just about a year now and there’s a tiny bit of settling gone on where you can see a slight ripple in some panels of the hardware cloth.

View attachment 3937012
Thanks. That looks great.

Back
Top Bottom