chicken run flooring - Beginning coop plans

J garden chicks

Chirping
Oct 13, 2019
Calistoga, CA
We are so excited to plan our DIY coop. Reclaiming a old redwood garden bed to turn into a coop. The run will have wire below a dirt bed that will not have a roof. Should we put pavers or some other base and then add bedding?, sand? gravel + bedding material? I want to be able to clean it easily. The run area including a section under the coop will be 14' x 4'. Thanks!
J

3886517F-E7F5-465F-8F8A-AF664AD6AFED.jpeg

We are so excited to plan our DIY coop. Reclaiming a old redwood garden bed to turn into a coop. The run will have wire below a dirt bed that will not have a roof. Should we put pavers or some other base and then add bedding?, sand? gravel + bedding material? I want to be able to clean it easily. The run area including a section under the coop will be 14' x 4'. Thanks!
J
Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC! Post this in coop design and maintenance forum and you'll get a lot of expert advice. Where are you located? Why no roof? If you have arial predators, Hawks, eagles, owls, at least put bird netting over the top. If you have raccoons, they can climb over. So many more predator out there, which is why it helps to know where you are in general terms. Best of luck to you!

Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC! Post this in coop design and maintenance forum and you'll get a lot of expert advice. Where are you located? Why no roof? If you have arial predators, Hawks, eagles, owls, at least put bird netting over the top. If you have raccoons, they can climb over. So many more predator out there, which is why it helps to know where you are in general terms. Best of luck to you!
oh yes a wire and frame roof... I meant no solid roofing planned so it will get very wet in the winter, muddy

I have a friend who has a covered coop about 8' x 8' with a base of pavers and sand on top of that, and it stays mostly dry all the time.

My runs are wire-covered, and the rain wets them down. I add straw or leaves or shavings occasionally. I sometimes have to dig a trench around the outside of the pen to let the water run off after a heavy storm.

I don't think you can use pavers to prevent muddiness. Even without adding straw, etc., you will be adding material constantly to the pen (food for chickens becoming poop from chicks), so the pavers will eventually become covered and muddy when wet. With the covered coop pavers and sand situation, my friend removes a couple scoops of fairly dry sand and adds fresh sand, which is a lot easier than digging out muddy pavers and putting them back on top.

However, your soil qualities make a huge difference, too. If you have sandy or loamy soil that drains easily then a few pavers on top should work just fine. Much of my soil is clay, and a hole makes a pool for several days after rain. Pavers tend to sink in and disappear.

My runs are wire-covered, and the rain wets them down. I add straw or leaves or shavings occasionally. I sometimes have to dig a trench around the outside of the pen to let the water run off after a heavy storm.

I don't think you can use pavers to prevent muddiness. Even without adding straw, etc., you will be adding material constantly to the pen (food for chickens becoming poop from chicks), so the pavers will eventually become covered and muddy when wet. With the covered coop pavers and sand situation, my friend removes a couple scoops of fairly dry sand and adds fresh sand, which is a lot easier than digging out muddy pavers and putting them back on top.

However, your soil qualities make a huge difference, too. If you have sandy or loamy soil that drains easily then a few pavers on top should work just fine. Much of my soil is clay, and a hole makes a pool for several days after rain. Pavers tend to sink in and disappear.[/QUOTE]

Super helpful thank you! I may start without roofing on the run and see how it goes. An easy add if I want it later ;-)

Back
Top Bottom