baileeb

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2020
Hello everyone! My father and brother are constructing a beautiful chicken coop thats 4x4. How big should the chicken run be? We have 6 chicks that are growing too fast! Please let me know what you guys think.
IMG_6983.JPG

Attachments

• 9D2EAD7D-AFFE-4E85-91A2-4CC7B06BC1EE.JPG
    9D2EAD7D-AFFE-4E85-91A2-4CC7B06BC1EE.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 9
Hello everyone! My father and brother are constructing a beautiful chicken coop thats 4x4. How big should the chicken run be? We have 6 chicks that are growing too fast! Please let me know what you guys think.View attachment 2121854
The absolute minimum for LF chickens is 10 sq ft per bird. You will find that this is simply not enough. I always recommend 15. More is ALWAYS better.

Assuming those are all full sized and not bantams, your run should plan on 8-10 sqft per bird. But make it way bigger than you need, I would bet money that you will get more birds. Because all of us do...
Thank you!!

Most definitely will add more they're so dang cute. Thank you!

Don't jump the gun to add more. Integration takes space over minimum recommendations, and your coop is already pretty much maxxed out. Coop recommendation is 4 sq ft per standard size bird, but that can go up to double that if you live in an area with extended cold winters and no climate protection in the run, for example.

if you're serious about getting more birds in the future, build for the maximum number of birds you anticipate you might have, and then go even bigger. Example, if you think you'll end up with 12, that's a minimum of 120 sq ft run - if they all get along. I would recommend doubling that and aiming for 240 sq ft, to allow for easier integration.

Sorry, not about run size but, I could not unsee this.
Red circle could be a place where rain gets in...
....not sure how to fix it(@DobieLover ?).
Blue circles, replace those soffit covers with 1/2" hardware cloth for ventilation.
1588722046220.png

Back
Top Bottom