Chicken with bad infection on mouth/face (was Vitamin B complex injectable dosage for chicken)

Pics
Ok, I'm a few pages behind here, but I want to clarify this.

My chickens' vet said the dose of thiamine is 4mg/kg of chicken. My pullet weighs 1.25kg. So her dose would be 5mg. To convert that to mL, you need to know the concentration of the vitamin supplement! The bottle we had available was 500mg/mL, so her dose was 1/100 of that - 0.01mL. Which she got SQ, and she perked up shortly afterwards.

The 0.08mL calculation for the OP's hen is based on what we know is the correct dosage of thiamine, because when I was trying to look up info earlier on B vitamin dosage for chickens, there wasn't much that looked reliable. So, given the lack of better info, we were basing the math on the concentration of thiamine in the supplement she has.
For a *1.25 kg bird* and *4 mg/kg* thiamine
Based on a 500 mg/ml product:
1.25 x 4 / 500 = 0.01 ml

Based on a 100 mg/ml product:
1.25 x 4 / 100 = 0.05 ml

Make it stop!

Math hurts....

View attachment 1334855 for helping!

I hope the OPs hen is better soon.
Lol, the math is simple is you know three things
  • Weight of bird
  • desired dose (mg per kg)
  • strength of medication (mg/ml)
It's always the same formula:
  • Weight of birds in pounds divided by 2.2, times desired dose, divide by number of mg in one ml.

Lol, the math is simple is you know three things
  • Weight of bird
  • desired dose (mg per kg)
  • strength of medication (mg/ml)
It's always the same formula:
  • Weight of birds in pounds divided by 2.2, times desired dose, divide by number of mg in one ml.
Still you are very helpful!

Don't butt out, and please double check my math!
It is good to have someone double check. I once gave dosing advice based on an average large fowl weight to someone that had a bantam! I was lucky in two ways: first was that they caught it and secondly they do not bug me for chicken advice any more!

:lau

It is good to have someone double check. I once gave dosing advice based on an average large fowl weight to someone that had a bantam! I was lucky in two ways: first was that they caught it and secondly they do not bug me for chicken advice any more!

:lau
That's funny. That's the reason I'm so funny about weighing and dosing based on weight. I know lots of people would rather be told "just give x" but that can be risky. For example, how much does a banty weigh? Does it weigh 1/2 pound, one pound, or 2 pounds?

Good point!

After the hen gets the vitamin issue straightened out, the OP should work on nutrition and make sure there are no parasites.
I'm reading them now.
Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 6.14.05 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom