Chicken with hurt leg

Helping No-Tail-A

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2024
Hi guys! So one of my hens all the sudden came up lame in one of her legs/feet. She will only walk on her toes but she won't walk flat-footed and is having a hard time getting around. I have looked to see if she potentially has bumble foot but I haven't seen any scabs and it doesn't look super puffy. Her other foot is taking all of her weight and is really red and swollen. She is currently isolated in a cage getting some rest and seems to be doing well and not in too much pain but I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what might be wrong? She's free-range and I'm thinking possible broken leg? Thanks for everybody's help. 😊

Hi guys! So one of my hens all the sudden came up lame in one of her legs/feet. She will only walk on her toes but she won't walk flat-footed and is having a hard time getting around. I have looked to see if she potentially has bumble foot but I haven't seen any scabs and it doesn't look super puffy. Her other foot is taking all of her weight and is really red and swollen. She is currently isolated in a cage getting some rest and seems to be doing well and not in too much pain but I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what might be wrong? She's free-range and I'm thinking possible broken leg? Thanks for everybody's help. 😊
Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos of her, both her feet/legs, bottom of feet too?

How old is she?

She is currently isolated in a cage getting some rest and seems to be doing well and not in too much pain but I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what might be wrong? She's free-range and I'm thinking possible broken leg? Thanks for everybody's help. 😊

Yeah, that's what I would do if I was really concerned. Isolate, rest, and observe.

Every once in a while, I will have a hen start to limp. I attribute most of those problems to a possible hard landing from the roost bar down to the coop floor. Especially for an older, heavier hen. Usually, in a few days, they are back to normal. I have never had a limping concern rise to the level where I needed to isolate a chicken.

Best wishes for a fast recovery.

Here are some photos. Please let me know if you can see them. I've never used this website before to post photos. I have a video of her walking but I don't know how to post that.

Attachments

• tempImageuuBwJd.png
    tempImageuuBwJd.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 13
  • tempImagerVr1nw.png
    tempImagerVr1nw.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 12
It is her right foot that is hurt. Not exactly sure why it is flipping these photos upside down and sideways. If you need more photos just let me know. Thanks again!

Attachments

• tempImagepRhnQX.jpg
    tempImagepRhnQX.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 15
  • tempImagejuKdPP.jpg
    tempImagejuKdPP.jpg
    562.9 KB · Views: 10
  • tempImagenA7dsH.jpg
    tempImagenA7dsH.jpg
    528.3 KB · Views: 14
It is her right foot that is hurt. Not exactly sure why it is flipping these photos upside down and sideways. If you need more photos just let me know. Thanks again!
I think her feet are fine, also welcome! She may have landed hard while getting off the roost bar, maybe you can circle the wound?

Here are some photos. Please let me know if you can see them. I've never used this website before to post photos. I have a video of her walking but I don't know how to post that.

For video, upload to YouTube and provide a link OR you can upload to the BYC Gallery, just tell us so we can find it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-upload-videos-to-the-gallery.1631126/

Left foot is puffy and red. The right, not quite so bad. No, I don't think the foot is broken, but the video may be helpful.

What type of surfaces does she normally walk on. She's free range, but does she roost or do you have a coop- what's that like?

Keep her on clean dry bedding. Are you or have you been soaking the feet? If so, with what, just plain water, epsom salts, etc.?

For video, upload to YouTube and provide a link OR you can upload to the BYC Gallery, just tell us so we can find it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-upload-videos-to-the-gallery.1631126/

Left foot is puffy and red. The right, not quite so bad. No, I don't think the foot is broken, but the video may be helpful.

What type of surfaces does she normally walk on. She's free range, but does she roost or do you have a coop- what's that like?

Keep her on clean dry bedding. Are you or have you been soaking the feet? If so, with what, just plain water, epsom salts, etc.?
Her left leg is taking all the weight which is why its so red and puffy.
The video has been uploaded to the gallery under the name “Chicken with hurt leg - Helping No-Tail-A” or IMG_3241.MOV
We do have a coop and we just have some roosts that are branches and the opening to the roosting boxes is wood and they sit on that as well. She is isolated so the other chickens don’t pick on her on cedar shaving flakes.
I haven’t been soaking her feet any.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom