Chickens for 3 years, turkeys for 5 months

PuppyDuckHill

Hatching
Sep 21, 2024
Good morning,
I'm sitting here in my shed with a sick turkey. I joined this thread for some answers after looking over the threads this weekend. My heart is aching because I know that his ill health is likely my fault. He's a Narragansett Tom, 4 months old. We bought him as a companion for my 6 month old hen who's been living with chickens for about 2 months. She's completely healthy and thriving. Our heritage chickens are doing well, as are our 20 White Rocks.

I kept him, Tim, on isolation for a week, but he was so active as was the hen, Tomasina, and I could tell they wanted to meet, so i relented.

A week later, this Friday, he looked sickly. His poo was yellowish. Signs of coccidiosis.

Of course, my vet didn't return my call Friday afternoon. And we were out of the area Saturday.

Today, probably too late, I administered some Corid and B12 fluids. He's on the floor, unsteady standing, and likely close to death and I feel 100% negligent. It's not the first Turkey I've had die (assuming he does today). They are so fragile and I've been making some mistakes, but mostly, they are fragile.

I'm hoping to use this site to treat my chickens for future ailments and possibly continue to raise turkeys.

603C6CCA-C146-4519-B892-9DAA05207FD9.jpeg

Good luck with your poult!

I hope he pulls through! I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, turkeys are a bit more fragile than other poultry species. You never know what quarantining him longer would have looked like, but you can always learn from past experiences. Welcome to BackYard Chickens!

Back
Top Bottom