Chickens Gone Nuts in Chicken Aprons!

chickeepoo

Songster
11 Years
Mar 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
My RIR hen CHickeepoo got plucked by the other 3 hens Sunday, so I separated her, sprayed on blu-kote, and then made a little fleece saddle/apron to protect her. The others ran form her, so I evened things up by making one for ALL of them… and they went nuts!! They ran around the run, panting and running away from each other (they're all wearing the same thing), then 3 of them jumped into the henhouse and jumped up on the roosts. I fed them some lettuce from the garden and handled them, but they're pretty upset about this! Did it take anyone's hens a little time to adjust to these things? I made them so they aren't tight, so I don't think their wings are pinched or anything. I wonder if the kitty pawprints on white fleece is too freaky for them…?

yuckyuck.gif
yuckyuck.gif
yuckyuck.gif
woot.gif

yuckyuck.gif
I know you are truly concerned, and asking a question, but I just actually laughed out loud and I am alone! That mental image is hilarious.
lau.gif
I think it is great that you stuck up for the first one by making them all wear one. Really I hope someone can help you with your question.

Last edited:
your not the only ones who laughed. i just laughed out loud and my 3 year old asked me what i was laughing at. oh i would have loved to watch that!

Day 2, and the only hold-out is Large Marge- she's still in the hen house on the roost. I added pics so you can see them in their aprons… I guess the other 3 decided eating was more important than their dignity!
LARGEMARGEREFUSESTOCOMEDOWN.jpg

This is Large Marge…she refuses to come down!

Mindygrudginglayseggwithapronon.jpg

Mindy grudgingly relented to laying her egg while wearing the apron

ChickeepooandChickenLittleSportingt.jpg

Chickeepoo and Chicken Little sporting their new aprons

These really were meant to be temporary, to protect Chickeepoo and even the score a little… I'm thinking little floral denim aprons with their names might be in order later. Meanwhile, they have been quite the sideshow.

Those are great pics. And nice aprons/saddles too. I once tried to make a hen wear a small kerchief for fun, and she almost had a heart attack.

I just made some for my hens. I used pleather (fake black Leather hahahaha They look so tuff:lol:
They were only grumpy when I was putting them on,but they got use to them super quick.[
Someone tell me how to load my pix.
16670_chix_saddle_005.jpg

Ohhh thank you for helping me... And I hope everyone enjoys the pic of my biker hen Butter.

Last edited:
Quote:
Click "Uploads" on the blue line at the top of the front page. Then click "Browse" and follow the path in your root directory to wherever your .jpg files are loaded. Once you've uploaded your .jpg files, click and copy only the "Image file" of the picture, then paste that entire URL with the text in your post or reply.

chickeepoo, I just found this post, I've been searching through posts for a good chicken saddle. These look great! I am actually going out today to buy material. Can you please tell me how you made these?

Back
Top Bottom