Chickens still pecking

Hello and Welcome to BYC. Glad that you have joined this poultry loving community. I can't be sure but it sounds like they are just establishing their pecking order. By the time the youngest are 6 months old they should get along if they are no extremes in size or things such as head feathers that the top of the pecking order birds don't have. This has been my experience.
Thanks. They are not that extreme in size. Actually my Jersey Giant is bigger than the older ones and she is still being pecked and very scared.

If nothing else you need some "Junk" to place in the run for them to get on and off of that will hopefully distract them from the pecking. Nothing fancy or costly needed. For the time being an old wooden chair or stool or even a few boards nailed together to make them something new to get their attention.

They are in a coop area 9 x 6 and a run that is 15 x 3. Coop is 5 x 6.
Is the coop 9x6 or 5x6?
The run is too small and too narrow.
They need more space.
I would try to at a minimum double the width to 6 ft. Going to 8 ft wide x 15 ft long would be far better.
And you need to have a lot of things in the space for them to perch on, dig around and hide behind. What kind of run litter do they have? A decent layer of dry organic matter makes excellent run litter.

I read on here you need 10 sq ft per chicken for the run. I have 99 sq ft in total for 8 chickens
Rosie, it doesn't work in total. It's recommended minimally 4 sq feet per bird in the coop, and 10-15 sq feet per bird in the run.

The coop is figured separately as that's where they get locked in together. Here, due to weather like blizzards, sometimes they're locked in for a week at a time. If there is overcrowding, they could start pecking on each other and a risk of getting sick increases.

You'll get 'er figured out though!

Welcome to BYC!! :frow

Is the coop 9x6 or 5x6?
The run is too small and too narrow.
They need more space.
I would try to at a minimum double the width to 6 ft. Going to 8 ft wide x 15 ft long would be far better.
And you need to have a lot of things in the space for them to perch on, dig around and hide behind. What kind of run litter do they have? A decent layer of dry organic matter makes excellent run litter.
Coop area has a run 9 x 6 and the extension run is a 15 x 3. The pecking is not in the coop, but in the run. Especially with treats and food, they chase them away. I do understand that more space will help but I thought by now they would get along.

Back
Top Bottom