Chickens stopped laying after one of them died

Mandypr87

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2016
Ellisville MO
So here is the situation. We have (had) 5 chickens, 2 EEs, 2 Buff Orpingtons, and 1 Barred Rock. Recently the Barred Rock passed away out of no where. She was healthy and active before, then one morning we found her dead in the coop. Took her in for a necropsy. No trauma, no broken neck, not egg bound, no anything. Fecal was negative. Sent tissue off for a pathology screening just to make sure it wasn't something else but if that's also negative we have no idea what happened. The vet said her intestines looked pretty torn up (which is why we figured the fecal would show something). Anyway, after the death, the other 4 girls have had some issues. Right away, one of the buffs became broody, but she was guarding invisible, imaginary eggs and wouldn't leave the nest. She was even sleeping in the nest and not up on the roost with the others. One night, my husband went out and picked her up and put her up on the roost with the others. That easily broke the broodiness. But, NOW, since the death, my 2 buffs aren't laying anymore, at all. The EEs haven't started laying yet (all 4 were born in April). The buffs however were laying when the barred rock was alive. Now it's like they have no interest in the coop or laying at all. They don't even make nests in the bedding like they used to. Is this normal? Are they grieving or just stressed because of the death? None of them appear to be sick at all. They all look happy and healthy. All are eating and drinking, and eating oyster shell free feeding.

Chickens get stressed out when a member dies, especially in smaller flocks, I have also seen those close to the member get depressed, so not laying would be normal until they settle back down and work out a new pecking order.

My Orpingtons often take breaks from laying throughout the season. They will lay consistently for a few months than stop for a month or two before resuming again. I personally haven't had luck with EE producing much. Mine have always been late to start, they quit for months and are quite sporadic. I have 3 new ones this year, we shall see how they do.

First, sorry about your chicken. When one of mine died I didn't get hardly any eggs for about a week, then they slowly picked back up as the new pecking order was established. Be patient. Below is the response I got when I was going through this same thing. I did a cut/paste because I couldn't have said it better myself.

"I'm sorry for your loss!
hugs.gif
Chickens are very social creatures who bond with both their kind as well us, as their caretakers. Lots of times, chickens bond more with another chicken of their same breed. Your leghorn is probably upset with the loss of her buddy. Plus, losing a bird can cause some major changes to take place within the flock pecking order which can also cause egg production to decrease.

So, in other words, it is very normal for a drop in egg production to occur during a time like this. Make sure your hens are receiving food, water, calcium and maybe even some apple cider vinegar to help keep them healthy.
smile.png
"

Kristy

I know this is an old post, but I appreciated it a lot as I am seeing the same thing in my flock and want anyone else who is experiencing the same thing to know that this is normal. One of my EE's died about 4 weeks ago due to a freak day of 114* heat (despite shade umbrellas, fans & ice in their chicken yard & water). Immediately following one of my Australorps went broody (took 4 days to break her and she didn't lay for another 10 days afterwards), another EE stopped laying for 10 days, but my head hen, an Australorp still has not laid in 4 weeks. My little flock of 3 is grieving hard. Chicken grief is real.

Sorry for your loss - animals grieve too. & that’s ok.

My only other thought was mites? If they aren’t nesting ect and avoiding the coop could you have mites?
Sometimes they only come out at night - all looks well on a daytime inspection. Mites can kill & understandably seriously affect your hens behaviour towards their coop making them reluctant to go in & lay in there.

So here is the situation. We have (had) 5 chickens, 2 EEs, 2 Buff Orpingtons, and 1 Barred Rock. Recently the Barred Rock passed away out of no where. She was healthy and active before, then one morning we found her dead in the coop. Took her in for a necropsy. No trauma, no broken neck, not egg bound, no anything. Fecal was negative. Sent tissue off for a pathology screening just to make sure it wasn't something else but if that's also negative we have no idea what happened. The vet said her intestines looked pretty torn up (which is why we figured the fecal would show something). Anyway, after the death, the other 4 girls have had some issues. Right away, one of the buffs became broody, but she was guarding invisible, imaginary eggs and wouldn't leave the nest. She was even sleeping in the nest and not up on the roost with the others. One night, my husband went out and picked her up and put her up on the roost with the others. That easily broke the broodiness. But, NOW, since the death, my 2 buffs aren't laying anymore, at all. The EEs haven't started laying yet (all 4 were born in April). The buffs however were laying when the barred rock was alive. Now it's like they have no interest in the coop or laying at all. They don't even make nests in the bedding like they used to. Is this normal? Are they grieving or just stressed because of the death? None of them appear to be sick at all. They all look happy and healthy. All are eating and drinking, and eating oyster shell free feeding.
My 2 Easter egger sisters were raised in my house and moved to a coop with others. last week a fox grabbed Miss Red, the head pecker girl and carried her away. Her sister and the rooster watched it all cackling up a storm. I was in the back room of my house and when I got to teh front door her feather were all over the place traced up the creek. It was a tragedy for all of us I blame myself for being in back of the house and the horror of them watching her get mauled, cackling to call for help is horrible Since then my Star and the sister Easter Egger and other have not laid 1 egg. NONE. They aren't even sitting to try to lay. They must be mourning.

Welcome!
Any stress can cause hens to stop laying eggs for a while, and that was certainly stressful! The survivors did learn something, and will be more careful in the future. And I hope your birds are locked in safely until this situation is resolved. Electric fencing, if possible.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom