Chickens with worms - missed Valbazen dose #2 by 2 days

akmarad

Chirping
May 11, 2019
Hello all!

I noticed some worms on the chicken poop board around 2 weeks ago. I treated the entire flock (9 chickens) with 1 dose of Valbazen orally at 0.5 ml/chicken.

I was supposed to give the second dose 10 days later, but I got distracted and missed the deadline by 2 days. Should I give them a third dose in 10 days from their second dose?

Does the treatment with Valbazen differ for prevention vs. a cure?

Thank you for your advice!
Armen

One drawback to multiple doses is anthelmintic resistance in the worms themselves.

A better approach may be to wait a month or so and then do the two treatments as recommended. Just a guess on my part. Have you considered any other treatments besides Valbazen?

Do you know what species of worms? Try to have a fecal sample read so you can be target specific with treatment.

Hello all!

I noticed some worms on the chicken poop board around 2 weeks ago. I treated the entire flock (9 chickens) with 1 dose of Valbazen orally at 0.5 ml/chicken.

I was supposed to give the second dose 10 days later, but I got distracted and missed the deadline by 2 days. Should I give them a third dose in 10 days from their second dose?

Does the treatment with Valbazen differ for prevention vs. a cure?

Thank you for your advice!
Armen
Go ahead and dose them now. They'll be good to go until you worm them the next time.

One drawback to multiple doses is anthelmintic resistance in the worms themselves.

A better approach may be to wait a month or so and then do the two treatments as recommended. Just a guess on my part. Have you considered any other treatments besides Valbazen?

Do you know what species of worms? Try to have a fecal sample read so you can be target specific with treatment.
I also have Safeguard, so I can wait 2 months and treat them again with that.

I was stupid and didn't take a picture of the worms I saw in their feces. They're no longer visible, so it's hard to tell. I have a microscope with me, so I can do a fecal float test in a few weeks and look for eggs.

Back
Top Bottom