chocolate silver laced english orpington rooster + chocolate english orpington hen =

maybe next spring i can get silver laced orpington chicks! or jubilee orpington chicks! and i’ll just keep a roo and a hen. ( i can only fit 2 more chickens in my chicken coop) and perhaps then we can start having fancy babies 😊

You shouldn't get black out of chocolate silver laced x chocolate. Chocolate is a sex linked gene, like barring. It is only found on the Z chromosome. Chocolate roosters (zz) need to have 2 copies of the chocolate gene in order to be chocolate, one on each Z chromosome. So your chocolate silver laced rooster can only pass on chocolate genes to his offspring. Hens (zw) only have 1 Z chromosome, if your hen is chocolate then she can only pass on chocolate on the Z chromosome. Female chicks from this cross will get the Z chromosome with the chocolate gene from the rooster and will be chocolate. Male chicks from this cross will inherit the chocolate gene on the Z chromosome from both parents and will be chocolate.

Now as for patterning, I'm a lot less solid on the genetics and inheritance pattern. My guess is that you should get at least partial lacing in at least some, if not all, of the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom