Cleaning Red Mites from Coop

Denisea3465

Songster
6 Years
May 28, 2017
Björköby, Sweden
We have a complicated coop (at least I feel like it is). It is a building from the late 1800's that used to be a house with a chicken coop built within it. It is hard to explain but there is a brick and concrete chimney from an old fireplace IN the coop. It has a cement floor, wood walls, the brick chimney and a large window. In the same room but just outside the coop doors is an open stairway to the loft/attic which is unfinished/uninsulated (you can see daylight between the boards and it is built to have a draft between the top of the wall and the roof. So needless to say we have a critter problem. Mice and wild birds are in and out constantly, no matter what we do. We actually got two cats to try to help with the mice, which has become significantly better, but not gone, obviously.

So to the point: We have 17 chickens and nearly all of them have been struggling with scaly leg mites. We treat and treat and treat but there just seems no way to get rid of them for good. Is it just something we will have to live with? Rubbing 34 chicken legs 2-3 times a week with sticky oils and vaseline takes a lot of time and just doesn't seem to be doing the job.

That said, we sell some eggs (not retail, to our community/neighborhood) and it is important that our free-range chickens remain organic. We cannot use, nor do I even know if we could get here in Sweden, Permethrin, Ivermectin, or a number of the other things I have read about when googling. I also will not use anything that is harmful to breathe (no DE) or harmful to our cats, dogs, bees, or anything else in the area. I know I am being ridiculously rigid, but it is important to us and to those who buy our eggs.

We can't power-wash the coop, it would be a bit like power-washing an unfinished attic and I imagine that would be awful for the structure. I am getting rid of the built-in wood nesting boxes and replacing them with the DIY plastic tote version so we can at least remove them and spray them down. The cement floor is also not really washable in any way I know how. But even if we change out all the bedding and wash out all the nesting boxes, there is still the problem of the walls and floor. I just can't see how we will ever get them out of there. Is there anything we can do? Or are we doomed to be giving our ladies a foot and leg massage at least twice weekly for the rest of our lives?

Thanks for reading!

As long as wild birds have access it is near impossible not to have a mite problem. Once I figured that out several years ago and eliminated that possibility, I have not had any evidence of mites on my chickens, in my coops or their pens.

For the coop, can you get pyrethrin (the organically approved stuff) where you live? In a spray, you should be able to hit every surface in there. I can't imagine putting vasolie on all those legs often either!
What is available where you are? Talk to poultry experts; is there a university vet or poultry department?
Mary

I was wondering about that. I was thinking about getting hardware cloth and sealing every nook and cranny but then I remembered mine free range so...

Thank you for the advice. I will look into the pyrethrum (is that the same as permethrin?). Since we have bees, literally in the chicken run, I am very weary of insecticides in general.

Try this! Mix 2 cups of water, 1 tablespoon of dish washing liquid, 1 cup of cooking oil and shake well each time before you use it. Use the spray for a whole week on your chicken coop. This will suffocate and kill any mites living in your chickens home. If you find another way to kill them, then for the future, Regular doses of apple cider vinegar is one of the easiest ways to prevent your flock from becoming infested with worms, mites and lice. Essentially, if consumed in safe quantities regularly, apple cider vinegar will begin to seep through your chooks' skin and repel mites and other pests. Hope this helps.😓

I use something that here is called Green soap, it is made from pine oil. I wonder if I could use that in lieu of the dish soap? I will look into that, as well.

Thank you, Mary, about the info about the difference between the two -I always assumed it was a brand/spelling thing. Thanks again so much!

I use something that here is called Green soap, it is made from pine oil. I wonder if I could use that in lieu of the dish soap? I will look into that, as well.

Thank you, Mary, about the info about the difference between the two -I always assumed it was a brand/spelling thing. Thanks again so much!
Yeah,since your chickens are in a open space, the soap won’t harm your chickens, just kill the mites. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom