Cochin Thread!!!

There is no doubt she is a Cochin. I just described her as pet quality because she is not colored correctly to develop into a Show Quality bird even if she was to finish out nicely. Enjoy her for what she is.This picture has 3 of my young Partridge pullets in it. the one to the left of the waterer and the 2 just behind it are all Partridge Cochins. Color is closer to correct on these girls.
I see, it is less of a golden background color and more of a red that is the standard. Is that right? I woder how the gold gets in the mix... also I was comaring and contrasting body types of cochin vs barhma and mine does not have that rounded appearance ... it did look more like a barhma, but who know maybe she'll get more shape as she matures..

I am new to cochins as a breed, I hatched her from an egg. It is possible she is a mix, but I was told it was a cochin egg...coloring type was not stated, I have been trying to figure that out on my own...hence the incorrect diagnosis:-l So she looks more like a golden partridge barhma?....lol I think I may go on the breed forum now.... isn't it funny how one questions answer just leads to more questions..;-)
Brahmas are huge, bigger than Cochins. They also have peacombs, not single combs. Your pullet appears to be hatchery Cochin, or cochin cross.

An observation for all the partridge breeders. i have seen some big variation in my chicks, these are all from the same pair. Birds in South Africa carry Dilute, and do not have the lovely Mahogany that the States birds do.

Here is one from last year. Showing the classic eb chipmunk like pattern.

And here are the two i hatched a last month. I think the light chick is pure for Dilute, the dark chick i have no clue why it is so different to the ones i hatched last year. I am hoping the variation is a difference in patterning gene (Pg).

Any Partridge or pencilled breeders seen anything like this? These two dont have the stripes down their backs, and the barring they show as chicks isnt as defined as i would like. Would love some feedback if anyone has thoughts.

I just hatched two partridge chicks. I haven't looked at them closely, but I bet the color variation means one is a pullet and the other is a cockerel???

This is in reference to Andy's post......

Last edited:

Blue Cochin hen
Champion Adriatic and BB open and reserve large fowl youth at the show last weekend

Anyone selling Cochin eggs or chicks?
PM me with color you have
I'm really interested in blue mottled and mille fleur
I dont know if you are anywhere near Abilene but it looks like there is a cochin show there tomorrow--see http://www.cochinsint.com/show-calendar.html if you are anywhere near there it could help you with some local contacts also. Most have already wound up their hatching until 2014 and as it gets colder most of the hens slow down (some halt altogether) on egg production.

Back
Top Bottom