Cockerel with balance issue

FinnEllaMom

Songster
5 Years
Mar 9, 2019
1000009559.jpg
Salt (3 months old) is having issues with standing and walking. He is off balance and wobbly. We have separated him the girls. They're all fine. He is eating, drinking and 💩 we are thinking he has injured himself or has a neurological issue. Any thoughts? We don't want to put him down unless we absolutely have to.

1000009573.jpg
Just found him like this. He needed help getting up. We have given him apple cider vinegar water. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'd like to restart this thread because I have a VERY similar situation. Young cockerel who started out walking like a drunken sailor and is now unable to stand, although he is still eating/drinking/pooping. I've been gone for about a month and a friend has been taking care of my birds for me, maybe 2-3 days ago she told me Penguin (the cockerel in question), was having trouble walking. I advised scrambled egg with a B vitamin, and some additional E. Since I just got home last night, I'm not sure if she gave him that stuff, but I did give him some Rooster Booster on scrambled egg, some Nutradrench, and as much of a capsule of E as he would take.
@Eggcessive and I can't think of who else to tag on here! Ack! Cross country drive = brain not working properly... Anyhow, he is in my hospital cage and separate from the flock, nobody else is showing symptoms so I don't think it's viral, maybe a parasite or even lead...? This house is old, I'm not sure if the paint is lead or not. Sigh!

@Wyorp Rock @casportpony are two more knowledgeable folks I know, any advice you might have would be wonderful.
I'll update this when I talk to my friend later, I'll also get some pictures and videos. He is mostly quiet now, sitting back on his hocks and trying to use his wings for balance when he does move. His eyes are bright, but his comb does look a bit dark, almost cyanotic but not quite. He ate some egg and a bit of tuna fish (skipjack, NOT albacore!) this morning, he also drank some water. His poop looked normal but it sure smelled bad, rather like a broody poo...

@Eggcessive Thank you for responding! You have always been here for me, and I can't begin to tell you how much that means tome. Thank you.
My apologies for the late reply, things have been SO busy!
First of all, I'm so sorry @FinnEllaMom for your loss, he was beautiful, and I know you did your absolute best. As for my little guy, I'm not sure what worked because I gave him several different supplements before I had to leave town again, but SOMETHING worked!! He is eating and drinking on his own now, and when I walked in the door today, he was standing up! Still very wobbly, but definitely much better. My best guess is a B vitamin deficiency, but I gave him another capsule of E, and more scrambled eggs just to make sure. Thank you again!

@Eggcessive Thank you for responding! You have always been here for me, and I can't begin to tell you how much that means tome. Thank you.
My apologies for the late reply, things have been SO busy!
First of all, I'm so sorry @FinnEllaMom for your loss, he was beautiful, and I know you did your absolute best. As for my little guy, I'm not sure what worked because I gave him several different supplements before I had to leave town again, but SOMETHING worked!! He is eating and drinking on his own now, and when I walked in the door today, he was standing up! Still very wobbly, but definitely much better. My best guess is a B vitamin deficiency, but I gave him another capsule of E, and more scrambled eggs just to make sure. Thank you again!
Thank you.
I'm glad your guy is doing better. 😃

Back
Top Bottom