Colorado

I agree with all who would support a mobile processor, it has been discussed before (not here) with regard to other livestock processing, and it seems like someone is doing it, although I don't think here in CO but I could be mistaken. There would be licensing and such involved of course, to ensure the processor isn't poisoning the consumer. I think if someone did just poultry the operation could be smaller, so more manageable, and could require that the customer provide the refrigeration and water which would eliminate some of the weight and power requirements. To price it low enough to attract customers and still make money would be the trick I guess.
And that's the thing. If a person already had a large van or enclosed truck with refrigeration, was willing to get the state licenses and permits, pass inspections, etc, it would be a fun hobby. I doubt however that it could be profitable in today's environment. The overhead would (in my opinion) be so great that you would have to charge twice or three times what it was worth to process the birds, and people wouldn't pay. It's much easier to buy one at the store, and sell or give away the birds that need to be processed unless you do it yourself.

Like I have said before, so long as the bird is healthy and it doesn't come in contact with my flock (my setup covers that I think) I have no probelm assisting others in processing their own birds at my place. I know of a guy locally who processed a bunch of chickens for a friend, and only took 1/2 of them in exchange for his services. It worked for them, but wasn't really cost effective.

I agree with all who would support a mobile processor, it has been discussed before (not here) with regard to other livestock processing, and it seems like someone is doing it, although I don't think here in CO but I could be mistaken. There would be licensing and such involved of course, to ensure the processor isn't poisoning the consumer. I think if someone did just poultry the operation could be smaller, so more manageable, and could require that the customer provide the refrigeration and water which would eliminate some of the weight and power requirements. To price it low enough to attract customers and still make money would be the trick I guess.
That is why I mentioned the grant funding for the soup kitchens and the like. I bet chicken owners would rather give old Henrietta to a good cause then be stuck with something most don't know what to do with, besides the attachment issues.

So my chicks have been outside in the coop/run for almost a week now. Doing well. I just have two. But, they've taken to sleeping together in one of the nesting boxes. I read elsewhere that I should close the nesting boxes off so they won't think of them as beds till they're ready to lay. Is that something I should do? The gable window is left open at night so they have ventilation, but it's about even with their heads when they're on the roost. Is that why they won't roost up there at night? I already close them in at night, so if I closed the gable door they'd have little to no ventilation. Thoughts?

So my chicks have been outside in the coop/run for almost a week now. Doing well. I just have two. But, they've taken to sleeping together in one of the nesting boxes. I read elsewhere that I should close the nesting boxes off so they won't think of them as beds till they're ready to lay. Is that something I should do? The gable window is left open at night so they have ventilation, but it's about even with their heads when they're on the roost. Is that why they won't roost up there at night? I already close them in at night, so if I closed the gable door they'd have little to no ventilation. Thoughts?

It does sound like they may be chilled. Yes, I would close the nest boxes up until they get comfortable with roosting. You may want to cover 3/4 of the gable for now and see if that helps. How old are they again? If it is even with their heads now, it will be near their body as they mature and you are just going to have to do some remodeling. Hopefully this will be the last of the real cold for the season.....

They are sleeping in the nesting box because it traps their body heat and helps keep them warm. Chicks do not start roosting until they are 10-12 weeks. They sleep on the ground and the ground sucks the heat out of their body. I wouldn't care if they slept in the boxes. They'll naturally move to the perches. Either way you need to provide someplace warmer for them at night. A small cat carrier covered with a towel and stuffed with bedding works, a cardboard box in the ground stuffed with bedding works.... You will need to pick them up and put them in the box for a few nights. When they stop using it, take it away.

I put this in the Pekin Duck Club thread but no response.

"Howdy you all. I have been raising hens (12) now for 3 years. I just saw an add for a local who needs a home for 2 - 5 week old Pekin ducklings. 5 of my hatchlings are 5 weeks old as well. They live in a separate partition in the coop with their 'Mommy'. If I were to go rescue these 2 ducks could I just stick them in the 'broody coop' with mamma and babies? I has to be more complicated than that
hu.gif
"

Help! I'm going to write theses peeps and tell them I have a home for the birds if nobody else replies
hugs.gif
Preston

Thanks Margie. I adopted a full grown goose once, before the babies. He wandered around the coop, run, and barn with the other girls without a care in the world. When I started letting him out to free range he stuck by the barn for a few days then just wandered off. He must have needed another goose? Maybe he flew south for the winter. Ducks appear to grow faster than chooks so maybe just bypass the brooder altogether. I have a letter out to the owners, who are moving, so we'll see what they say.

That is why I mentioned the grant funding for the soup kitchens and the like. I bet chicken owners would rather give old Henrietta to a good cause then be stuck with something most don't know what to do with, besides the attachment issues.
It would probably have to be something like this.
I spoke with Denver Urban Homesteading and he said that the reason they stopped offering processing service was due to lack of interest. As was mentioned - I think they charged $20 a bird, which was perhaps prohibitive.

I'd pay a decent price for mobile processing, maybe up to ten bucks a bird. But then I'd only have a couple every few years. A business like this would really depend on demand.

I put this in the Pekin Duck Club thread but no response.

"Howdy you all. I have been raising hens (12) now for 3 years. I just saw an add for a local who needs a home for 2 - 5 week old Pekin ducklings. 5 of my hatchlings are 5 weeks old as well. They live in a separate partition in the coop with their 'Mommy'. If I were to go rescue these 2 ducks could I just stick them in the 'broody coop' with mamma and babies? I has to be more complicated than that
hu.gif
"

Help! I'm going to write theses peeps and tell them I have a home for the birds if nobody else replies
hugs.gif
Preston

I have two pekings I would love to rehome to someone who loves ducks... I even have the little runner too.

Back
Top Bottom