Colorado

A question about incubators. I bought a used Janoel 48 and I started a hatch for the first time yesterday. My question is how to keep the humidity in the right range. The humidity went from 62 to 44 overnight. I put more water in this morning. But is it evaporating too quickly? Do you put water in daily?

Also I have some xbred roosters that could use new homes. They are a mix of gold-laced wyandottes and buff brahmins. All are bantams and all are cochins. Very pretty, but who needs 7 roosters
ep.gif

Cathy in Fort Lupton

I have the very last Cream Legbar chicks available...one male and two females. PM if interested.
I am so happy to put the incubator away, and even more happy to be done with the Creams. Super excited about the 19 Cochins we're growing out, hopefully we'll have a beautiful blue, black and splash flock next year.
Also have a 15 week old Partridge cochin Roo, still. Pm if interested.
I would love some fertile Cochin eggs from you when you have them. Either super early spring or June because our late April-May Spring storms play havoc with the power. Or chicks if you are hatching them out yourself......

A question about incubators. I bought a used Janoel 48 and I started a hatch for the first time yesterday. My question is how to keep the humidity in the right range. The humidity went from 62 to 44 overnight. I put more water in this morning. But is it evaporating too quickly? Do you put water in daily?

Also I have some xbred roosters that could use new homes. They are a mix of gold-laced wyandottes and buff brahmins. All are bantams and all are cochins. Very pretty, but who needs 7 roosters
ep.gif

Cathy in Fort Lupton
If it is forced air, you will be adding water daily to every other day. I generally don't stress too much over the humidity. I just do my best to keep it around 40% and sometimes it will drop to 20% overnight if I didn't think to add water. For hatching, I am doing good to keep it up around 50%. It just is really hard at this altitude and dryness.

On another note, OH MY WORD!!!! The quail eggs!!!???? They were supposed to hatch on Monday, Day 16. Okay, no stress, the chicken eggs take longer up here too.... So we got one in the early AM Day 18, by the end of Day 18 - 7, halfway through last night-6, this am - 6, still popping out ? Are you kidding me! Set 40- didn't really know what to expect...
lau.gif
CUTE and TINY little creatures they are.

I will for sure be incubating, so eggs or chicks would be available. I can't believe how hard it was to find them, so we'll be working to make them more available in this area. And I just live watching them thunder across the yard, looking for treats :)

Ashdoes-will you by chance have any frizzle/sizzle cochin?

Agh and still hunting for french bcm chicks. Idk if I'm ready to hatch eggs yet, my house is a disaster.

Depends on the person. No really, I candle around day seven, toss the clears. My eggs were dark so I just let the rest go and either they hatched or not. The quail eggs I never candled.
Some like to keep track of the size of the air sac. Then you play with the humidity to get the optimal size. Others like to weigh the eggs to check for development.
It just depends on your situation, if the eggs are shipped or local, expensive or cheap, OCD or not.....
There is a really great thread on incubating and hatching eggs with a lot of wonderful information, a sticky

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...hing-eggs-important-topic-index-please-review

Quail eggs still hatching.....

Ashdoes, Congrats on finding some large fowl Cochins! Looking forward to see what you hatch out!

Some people candle at day seven others wait until day ten to candle, if you are not sure you can keep them in the incubator til around two weeks, you should be able to see what eggs are chicks and which ones are not.

On another note....... I am selling my breeder quality Blue Jersey Giants, since I never got a pen set up, and doesn't look like I will get one built this year. I am asking $20 per pair and I have two pair.

One of the roosters

Depends on the person.  No really, I candle around day seven, toss the clears.  My eggs were dark so I just let the rest go and either they hatched or not.  The quail eggs I never candled. 
Some like to keep track of the size of the air sac.  Then you play with the humidity to get the optimal size.  Others like to weigh the eggs to check for development.
It just depends on your situation, if the eggs are shipped or local, expensive or cheap, OCD or not.....    
There is a really great thread on incubating and hatching eggs with a lot of wonderful information, a sticky

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...hing-eggs-important-topic-index-please-review

Quail eggs still hatching.....
I am glad you made the plunge and are hatching some quail. I really enjoy mine. I enclosed under my raised chicken coop and have them in there. We really enjoy the eggs. We mostly hatd boil yhem and have pickled a quart also. They are pretty good that way. The make my coworkers ask questions and think i am eating high on the hog.

Last edited:
Wow Suncatcher! He is a pretty boy.
It is raining and chilly so I guess it is a good day to hang out on the computer and watch quail hatch. Samsr- how many quail do you have now? These eggs fit nicely into the quail trays so they are not the huge jumbo ones, just normal size I guess. Or maybe jumbo but not mega? IDK but will find out.... Not sure how many I will over-winter as I need to figure out how easy/hard they will be to keep healthy and comfortable up here.

Back
Top Bottom