Colorado

She sounds a lot like my sister. Sis said she wanted hens, and asked what she needs. She got distracted when I was telling her. Then she told me she wants 3-4 of MINE (which she has yet to see), because she doesn't want to bother with chicks. When I told her she cannot have mine, but I would be happy to put her in touch with any number of ppl with pullets for sale, she suddenly decided it was all just too complicated. Love her like crazy, but she's a nut, lol!
Hi Ladybug! It looks like we're neighbors
hugs.gif
Franktown here. We hung an ad for free roo's up at the Elizabeth Big R. Today a lady called from right here in Deerfield and said she wanted to start raising chickens. It seems she wants to swing by tomorrow to see the whole setup and maybe take the last roo (a B.O. BTW hint hint). Without a coop, food, or anything associated with all that I just don't see how that could be possible.
tongue.png
Anyway she wants to start with a full grown, already laying flock. I don't see that happening either.

applecore5, I have emailed the state vet to get all the info about NPIP certification. I know of one lady in my neck of the woods that is certified, but she won't return my calls! I think she thinks I am going to compete with her!
hmm.png
I just want the certification to be able to ship hatching eggs. As soon as I hear back from the state vet, I will post it here!!

I am in agreement with you Judy. Thanks for the nice response.
She has received some swift gentle foot tosses already. Some to get her to quit picking on other hens and some from me. The other day I was picking tomatoes and all the sudden I realized she was about to peck me and turned around an shooed her away for her to only challenge me. I threw a piece bark at her.
She is hard to catch but I will take your advice and try to handle her some more. Hopefully un-pecked. My only option to remove her is to put her in a dog kennel next to the run? For a temporary fix and see if it would help?
My main concern is how she is affecting the rest of the flock. I need more eggs not less.
I am a long time dog owner and responsible dog owner. I grew up breeding and raising dogs & horses. So I understand where you are coming from.
But I am only chicken farming for about 1.5 years. So I certainly appreciate all the great advice that is provided here.
Thanks sooooo much for helping me!

She sounds a lot like a he.... Kinda looks like one too, but I'm not familiar with that breed so I cant be sure.

?????????

open topic for discussion please:

Do chickens "know or understand" correction or "NO" as other animals do??

Example: Hen picking on new member of flock and you in a gentle way attempt to protect new hen and redirect other hens attention or push outta the way with a NO, maybe a clap, and make them move on.

I understand that a pecking order needs to be established and I can live with that, but the first couple days I try not to let them just abuse & terrorize a newbie.

Chickens seem pretty smart to me so makes me think it might be possible. Ive only had chickens for a 1.5 years and a small backyard flock that is great so I havent had a lot of experience.
I don't expect to be able to correct them to not destroy our veggies but more about behavior and how to treat each other?

I don't think so.... They respond well to positive training. Example: Call out chick chick and they come for food.

We also have a free-range rooster who is trained for bed time. If it's close to dark he comes and waits near the front porch and all I have to do is ask if he's ready for bed and he'll go to the front door and when I let him in, he walks all the way to his crate where he sleeps. We were able to train him into that by making sure he always gets food after he does it. He also walks straight out of the house in the morning to get to his morning food on the porch.

This same rooster doesn't understand not to attack the rooster of the big flock when they free range. We can drench him with the hose and he just doesn't give it up. No matter how many times we carry him to bed when he starts up, he'll still do it again the next day.

I am in Kiowa and we have been adding to our flock over the summer, we have 13 hens, a rooster, and a turkey. My chickens provide endless entertainment for us - I love it!

welcome-byc.gif
There aren't many of us out east, and sometimes it seems like there are none. But, we're here, just quieter than the CO Springs contingent. Welcome!!!!

Looks like my neighborhood hawk is back, it started coming around last year in mid-August too. I don't know what kind it is, but it's pretty small. I don't think it could carry off even one of my bantams, but I'm sure it could do some damage. No free ranging for a little while. Most of the flock have the instinct to run for the bushes and hide, but the poor silkies don't seem to know what to do!

ColoBecky - the Silkies may not even be able to see there is an overhead threat, they are the most vulnerable when out free ranging.

Applecore5, at least 3 of us are NPIP certified (I am, wsmith, and coloradogal are, these are the ones I know for sure - shyscreations may be, not sure). It is inexpensive and I think worth it to know you are in compliance with shipping laws if you want to ship eggs or chicks across state lines, and cheap peace of mind knowing your flock isn't carrying a couple of highly contagious diseases. You can also have them tested for the kind of salmonella that is passed through their eggs, which I did. The basic cost for certification is $15 (I think, something very close to that) and the additional test was another ~$15. The state tests your flock every year, typically May and August are the testing months, and when I was enrolled last year I was the furthest South in the state to be certified.

The person to contact is Kristy Pabilonia ([email protected]). Things to consider before you do it: If your flock tests positive for one of the diseases they test for, or if they suspect you have some other disease in your flock and test for that and it's positive, you can be ordered to destroy your entire flock. Once you are certified, you can only purchase from other certified sellers, or you can have new birds tested at I don't know what expense before adding to your flock (they would have to be quarantined until the results showed them clean).

There are people who advertise that their chicks are NPIP, which is misleading (they do NOT say they themselves are NPIP certified, they say the chicks are NPIP). They may have purchased chicks from an NPIP certified hatchery, but they themselves are not certified. If someone says they are NPIP, ask for their number. The state issues you a number (mine is CO-120) once your birds' tests come back negative. Sometimes it takes a while to get the number, but you will get notice your birds are clean before you get the number.

I hope that bit of information helps :)

Back
Top Bottom