Colorado

I recently read an article about pruning the tops of the plants will stop vertical growth and encourage the fruit to finish ripening. Also, you can clip the vine and let them ripen on the vine.

A few other ideas I found...
http://gardening.about.com/od/growingtips/qt/Green_Tomato.htm
I will check out this link, thanks. I know a few years ago I read that taking off a lot of the leaves, and side shoots, would make the plant use its energy for ripening the fruit. A few years ago we had an early frost, and I wound up harvesting dishpans-full of green tomatoes, put them in paper bags, and they did ripen. Not quite as good as on the vine, but a darned sight better than losing the whole bunch. The sauce they made was a hundred times better than store bought :)

My Sussex are in the pen nearest the tomatoes, and every night they wait for me to toss them a couple. I don't do it every night, but they sure wait every night, just in case :)

This is little "Cloud", a very light splash silkie pullet. I'm hoping to find some porcelain, buff or self blue (lavendar) females. Is anyone going to the Pikes Peak poultry show last Saturday of Sept?

Think of them as toy breed dogs - most of them haven't the first idea they're smaller. I have been running all the Reds together and the 6 juvenile Silkies separately this past week, and this morning I thought I'd just put them together again out in the larger run - except during the intervening week, the Black Silkie cockerel declared himself a man - THE man - and the minute I put him in with the RIR pullets - twice his size - he started dancing for them and thinking he was going to mate with them, which they disagreed with. That said, not even a feather flew, they had words and went about their business. I did put the Silkies back into their own run to avoid any potential problems. For the most part they are very peaceful. The only ones I've kept in a mixed group are the juveniles while they were housed with the RIR pullets, and it was the most peaceful pen in the coop.

I wonder if it's a silkie male thing? Our silkie boy has the biggest male attitude of all our roos and we have 7 (maybe 8) of them. He is the tiniest one and we think he's trying to make up for it. He is the only one that routinely attacks people and we let him live because it's funny and all those feathers keep him from hurting anyone.

On topic, we've always run our littles with the bigs. We're in the process of building a new coop for my littles who are living out of my garage right now. There are two extra tiny littles (a serama and a dutch) that are just too darn little to live out in the open yard with everyone, but it's not because of the other chickens. It's because they'll be easy hawk food. I'll be building them and a few other littles a special little coop with a fully enclosed run. It's hilarious to see a huge naked neck mate the tiny little girls who can walk under him and still have clearance.

I need some help here I post in emergencies but nobody step in.
On Thursday while I was putting the juveniles in their coop my dog grab one of my pullets, he toss her a little.I check and she did not have blood and went back to eating so I assuming she was fine.Today in the morning she was walking estrange and all fluff up, and I grab her and her right side is full of liquid (clear liquid) looks like a ballon, starts at the breast and goes all the way down to the drumstick.
She is still eating but is hard for her to walk.
Now:
Should I puncture and drain the liquid to make it comfortable for her. Put some antibiotic ointment in the whole I will be making.
What kind of anti-inflammatory should I give her.
Or if there is something else I should do...
Your ideas, help with this will be appreciated.
Thanks
-

I need some help here I post in emergencies but nobody step in.
On Thursday while I was putting the juveniles in their coop my dog grab one of my pullets, he toss her a little.I check and she did not have blood and went back to eating so I assuming she was fine.Today in the morning she was walking estrange and all fluff up, and I grab her and her right side is full of liquid (clear liquid) looks like a ballon, starts at the breast and goes all the way down to the drumstick.
She is still eating but is hard for her to walk.
Now:
Should I puncture and drain the liquid to make it comfortable for her. Put some antibiotic ointment in the whole I will be making.
What kind of anti-inflammatory should I give her.
Or if there is something else I should do...
Your ideas, help with this will be appreciated.
Thanks
-

let me just first say. I am by no means an expert at this type of situation. If that were one of my chickens. I would drain off the fluid and get some type of antibiotic on it. You will need to find the puncture wound and put more in that spot also. You may need to darin it more than once. I am not sure what kind or how much of an oral antibiotic you will need but someone will step in here and let you know what they would use. I am sorry you are going through this. It must be very nerve racking. Good luck.

jime, is the "balloon" filled with air or fluid? If air, it may be an air sac injury, in which case the body will reabsorb the air over time. Same might be true even if fluid, and if I were you I might start the bird on oral antibiotics and see if it clears that way, without having to puncture the skin, which just creates a new potential for infection. Duramycin is usually available at Big R. If you are able to locate a wound left by the dog, put some triple antibiotic without pain reliever, or Nustock, or Vetericyn on it, or even Blu Kote if you have some.

Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom