Colorado

Ashdoes - If you have (or plan to have) any male and female legbar chicks I'd be interested since I have 0 to show out of all of the eggs I got from you (not your fault!). I don't want to do any eggs now since we'll be moving in a few weeks but I can do chicks.

Boy it is good to be home! 2500 miles driven this last week!
All of our girls appear to be doing well.
smile.png

Our lone survivor of our youngest group became very attached to us. I was out getting the chickens setup before we left and she would run over to me and jump on my lap, then up to my shoulder/head. I've never had a chicken that would do that before. Since she doesn't have a flock and gets picked on by the older girls we decided to take her with us. She loved the car ride!

Here she is while I was tending to the other chickens.

And here she is asleep on my daughter's shoulder in the car. She is wearing a harness my daughter made for her (she only wore it for a few minutes). Most of the time she sat on the back of our chairs, perfectly content.

My friend is looking for some good quality leghorns (not hatchery). Let me know if you know of any in the area. She's living in KS now but will be in CO in a couple weeks. I can pick up and hold for her until then. Thanks!

I was just wondering what everyone out in the country does about mice. I just got back from placing a multiple live trap in with the quail, as they are on the ground now. The mice are burrowing in from underneath them and coming up in the little wooden box I made for them so they can get away from one another. I also saw a few in the coop/shed with the chickens. If it was daylight the chickens would simply kill the mice. But since they cant see much at night, the mice just run around and have fun. Maybe another multiple live trap in there as well?

Boy it is good to be home! 2500 miles driven this last week!
All of our girls appear to be doing well.
smile.png

Our lone survivor of our youngest group became very attached to us. I was out getting the chickens setup before we left and she would run over to me and jump on my lap, then up to my shoulder/head. I've never had a chicken that would do that before. Since she doesn't have a flock and gets picked on by the older girls we decided to take her with us. She loved the car ride!

Here she is while I was tending to the other chickens.

And here she is asleep on my daughter's shoulder in the car. She is wearing a harness my daughter made for her (she only wore it for a few minutes). Most of the time she sat on the back of our chairs, perfectly content.
love.gif

Glad you are home and that all is well.

I was just wondering what everyone out in the country does about mice. I just got back from placing a multiple live trap in with the quail, as they are on the ground now. The mice are burrowing in from underneath them and coming up in the little wooden box I made for them so they can get away from one another. I also saw a few in the coop/shed with the chickens. If it was daylight the chickens would simply kill the mice. But since they cant see much at night, the mice just run around and have fun. Maybe another multiple live trap in there as well?

Mouse poison inside a box with only a very small access hole, although with quail that might not be safe they're so small themselves. Yeah, maybe another live trap, or something I've read about called a zapper? I hear they work really well.

I was just wondering what everyone out in the country does about mice.  I just got back from placing a multiple live trap in with the quail, as they are on the ground now.  The mice are burrowing in from underneath them and coming up in the little wooden box I made for them so they can get away from one another.  I also saw a few in the coop/shed with the chickens.  If it was daylight the chickens would simply kill the mice.  But since they cant see much at night, the mice just run around and have fun.  Maybe another multiple live trap in there as well? 

The mice are crazy this year. Our running total is now at 93 caught....

Here is what I did inside the coops: I built some boxes from scrap OSB, with a removable lid and put a baited snap trap inside. The boxes are about 6 X 10 X 5.

I don't like poison because I have too many animals that are willing to eat the dead. So, since my house is insulated with straw bales I am kind of motivated to remove the buggers. I use 5 gallon buckets with water about 1/3 way up so that the mice cannot jump out. Across the top I suspend a soda can so that it spins and put some peanut butter on it. When the mice try and eat the peanut butter the can spins and they are dumped into the water and drown. I also use electric rat traps. I like them less because it is only one at a time, but they work a treat.

Back
Top Bottom