Colorado

welcomes and congrats all around! beautiful roo and Frizzle Lor!
I hear warming trends are coming our way this weekend, but hopefully that doesn't mean another cold blast (isnt that usually the case?)
lol.png

Quote:
I NEED more snow!!!! Don't want the cold but my pasture needs more moisture and Greg just seeded for the turkeys and chickens and I really need that to grow. One question though for you veteran Coloradans (I've only lived here 14 years). Do you think that cold blast was cold enough, long enough to kill the pine beetles? I remember hearing a couple of years ago that they needed something below zero for so many hours or days and that would literally explode the pine beetle larvae that were living under the bark of the trees.

Quote:
I NEED more snow!!!! Don't want the cold but my pasture needs more moisture and Greg just seeded for the turkeys and chickens and I really need that to grow. One question though for you veteran Coloradans (I've only lived here 14 years). Do you think that cold blast was cold enough, long enough to kill the pine beetles? I remember hearing a couple of years ago that they needed something below zero for so many hours or days and that would literally explode the pine beetle larvae that were living under the bark of the trees.

===========
How about we just hope for warm temps and rain as opposed to the snowand frigid temps. I just can't handle much more!!!!! I don't have enough propane to last another 2 months of these temps!
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Here's my boy:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/albertihome/BlueCochinMale2-2011.jpg

And I'm hoping to get some pretty frizzes using this hen:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/albertihome/frizzlecochin.jpg

Thanks. He is handsome. How are the girls working out?

Those girlies are wonderful!!! Best chickens I've ever, ever had. So sweet natured and tame and docile. Haven't started laying yet but that's okay, they're young and we're in no hurry. My daughter "owns" them and will be showing some this year at the fair. When we got them she was studying weather at school so the chickens are named Lightning, Thunder, Cloudy and Stormy. The new roo will be named Tornado and I'm hoping to get another hen or two who will be Cyclone and Hurricane. Possibly baby names have been bandied about as Sunny, Rainy and Rainbow. (sigh) I told her we could get a real sad one and call it Tropical Depression but she's only eight and didn't get the joke.

Quote:
Thanks. He is handsome. How are the girls working out?

Those girlies are wonderful!!! Best chickens I've ever, ever had. So sweet natured and tame and docile. Haven't started laying yet but that's okay, they're young and we're in no hurry. My daughter "owns" them and will be showing some this year at the fair. When we got them she was studying weather at school so the chickens are named Lightning, Thunder, Cloudy and Stormy. The new roo will be named Tornado and I'm hoping to get another hen or two who will be Cyclone and Hurricane. Possibly baby names have been bandied about as Sunny, Rainy and Rainbow. (sigh) I told her we could get a real sad one and call it Tropical Depression but she's only eight and didn't get the joke.

We are so happy they are working out! We love the names, we were thinking along the same line of names ourselves. Which fair will they be at? We would love to come see them at the fair....joe/melinda

Someone who planned to come by to get a few dozen eggs this week can't come because of the snow. I know this is a long shot (especially on THIS board!) but does anybody near SE of Denver need eating eggs? PM me.

This pic shows the carton I finished filling yesterday.
76466_eggs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom