Comb color

MariaChickenMama

Chirping
Jul 28, 2022
My hen has a respiratory infection and I’ve been treating it with Tigard. This is like day three. I also put vet RX on her comb or wattles her beak and underneath her wings at least two times a day.. every morning when she wakes up, her comb looks great but then by bedtime it’s starting to get purple. Why does it do that? We have plenty of ventilation in the coop where I have her isolated in a crate. Her comb looked better when she was in the shed, isolated with hardly any ventilation at night. Why does it get purple as the day goes on but looks great in the morning?

Does plenty of rest play a part? Because when she wakes up she looks good. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Attachments

• IMG_9344.jpeg
    IMG_9344.jpeg
    537 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9355.jpeg
    IMG_9355.jpeg
    559.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9372.jpeg
    IMG_9372.jpeg
    590.6 KB · Views: 4
If she has a respiratory infection than it will affect her ability to breathe in oxygen. Combs turn purple from a lack of oxygen generally. I would assume it's because of the increase in her moving around during the day versus sitting quietly at night. Hopefully as she heals her color improves.

If she has a respiratory infection than it will affect her ability to breathe in oxygen. Combs turn purple from a lack of oxygen generally. I would assume it's because of the increase in her moving around during the day versus sitting quietly at night. Hopefully as she heals her color improves.
I was wondering if that was it. I wish I could get her to sit quietly but not sure possible with all the noise anyways. She also has been breathing heavy at night but tonight it didn’t appear as bad other nights. But her comb still looks awful. But she is a fighter.

Back
Top Bottom