Consolidated Kansas

They are 15 gallon drums. I cut a 12 inch wide opening from the top ridge to the bottom ridge. Then I cut the drum in half and push the top half over the bottom half and use self tapping screws to hold them in place. I use the piece I removed from the drum as an awning over the opening. The handle on top allows he to move the broody hen without disturbing her. I get the drums from the Pittsburg Recycling center fairly reasonable I also have used some of the drums for watering by installing drinking cups about 3 inches from the bottom of the 15 gallon drums.

RALPH, I really like your nest barrels. What size is that and did you find a source where you could get them pretty cheep?
I did an update for the phone and now I can't post with any pictures, I've been trying for the last couple nights with no luck. Maybe "tech support" ( the 13yr old ) can help me.
DANZ , hope your babies are getting better, we'll have to teach the new kids how to go up the ramp this week so they can get up of the ground and start roosting.
Don't know what kind of phone you have, but something similar happened to me on my last one (S3). I pulled the battery and put it back in, and all was well.

These "smart phones" do tend to have quirks at times. I just got a new one myself & have just figured out some things on it.

ralph good job on your barrel nests, I like that. We really don't have a source for barrels around here that I know of anyway. That is why I have been picking up the covered cat litter boxes cheap whenever I see them. They make good nest boxes as well & I use them in my outdoor pens. The only thing about them is they have vent holes in the top & I either have to cover them with a board or put the nest out away from the side of the pen so they don't get rain in them.

Danz, I put a new drum in my dryer a few months back. It was easier to re-build it than replace it. I would have had to remove a washer and loaded freezer to get it out. The hardest part of this project was getting the belt back on the motor pulley. My first job after serving in the U.S. Navy was an appliance repairman for Montgomery ward in KC MO.I did get a new washer last year. I had the other one since 1967, when I bought this place. It was just not practical to put a new transmission in that old of a machine.
I rebuilt one dryer for over 20 years and I had actually picked it up for free from a metal recycling yard back in the early 70's. Back then there was nothing really to replace. This old dryer worked fine and all I did was buy a dryer cord and put it on and start using it. I replaced a few belts over the years as well. I finally retired it when the last of my kids were little and it would melt their plastic pants! LOL
The biggest problem with this one is that it isn't big enough. Since I bought an large capacity energy efficient washer I can wash bigger loads and the dryer just doesn't handle them well. I was going to wait until it totally bit the dust but the dryer I wanted to buy is getting really hard to find. They are now pushing these with no back panel and the controls on the top. I didn't want that for several reasons. First I fold clothes on top of my dryer. I'd always be hitting the controls accidentally. Secondly, quarters are close and I knock stuff off as it is. If there is no back panel to catch them I'd end up fishing for socks and stuff all the time that dived over the top. They were a couple hundred dollars off so I decided now was the time. At least now DH can find the part he ordered and I can install it and still sell the dryer for a decent price. And I'll be back to matching appliances again.
Posted by 22qZoo
They are all recovered and back in the pen where they got stuck in the rain. I still need to clean up the mess they left in the house! One step at a time. LOL

I need to vent. I wish people would quit putting personal opinions and crap someone else told them on social media sites as gospel. It drives me insane. There's always a difference in opinions and I appreciate that, but I hate reading stuff as an absolute that just doesn't have medical facts to back it. Where do people come up with these crazy ideas? It's great to get advice from people with differing opinions. It gives you options. But I hate to see people post things on facebook sites and even backyard chickens as the absolute when they just heard it from some other misinformed person. I do value help and opinions but the one thing I always do is go to university sites or veterinary sites to get the ultimate word on things. For instance if someone presents an idea I hadn't considered I will do my own research and find out if it is valid or not.
Experience is always the best teacher but you need to start with a solid base before you take things as a true fact.
I've done a lot of experimenting and found many things that aren't in veterinary books that really work. More natural treatments, so I'm not saying there isn't some merit there. I just hate reading total mistruths from uninformed people. Okay I feel better now!!!

I can only get my S3 to post pictures if I use the desktop mode of BYC then I switch back to mobile. Kind of a pain but it works.
I don't post directly from the phone (the file size is just too large), so I don't know if I can do it with my S5 or not. I'll have to try that just to see if I can.

I liked using my I-4 just cuz it was easy ,take picture, choose picture,submit done..I don't find technology interesting and I tend to go "squirrel " when somebody tries to teach me how to do stuff. I haven't used the lap top for a few months since Microsoft stopped doing up dates for our op system and now that DH is balancing the checkbook on "his" computer I have come un-tethered. Good times.

Thunderstorms and tons of rain again this morning. I think the drought is probably broken out here this year.
Our little patch of east/northcentral Kanas (near Emporia) has been missed by most of the heavier rains, but we are doing OK. There is a line of thunderstorm moving (wait for it) up the turnpike like always. I just corralled the little chickens (5 weeks) and put the big chickens in the run just in case. The last time I left little chickens in the run with the big girls and Jake, they stayed out in the heavy rain instead of going in even though they were sleeping in the coop at night. I found them drenched and sad after the rain hiding out under the shrubby weeds in the run. We could use a bit more moisture on the garden, so I really hope it does actually rain HERE rather than all around us.

Back
Top Bottom