Consolidated Kansas

Yes! That there thingamajiggy....I bought a really cheap one meant for a screwdriver, and I use it in my drill with adapters...I cheat.

*wanders off to find meds and coffee*

thanks guys! My DH came out and looked at it and then he showed me how to toenail it in sideways. I just have to do the other side that way, too. But it went in real nice and despite it being a bit sideways, it looks like it will hold.

ChickenDanz, yeah, I'm not going to install the window yet. I just set it down in there so I could get it measured out even in the center of that space and then I put in those bars next to it. The window is already safely back in the garage.
wink.png
Thanks for the compliment on the Dinner Bell- I love it! I thought it was so adorable. I saw it on someone else's coop and asked them where they got it. I HAD to have one, too!

I've now moved on to cutting all the vertical boards... but the heat started to get the best of me, so I only got the ones under the nest box put in and screwed in. The others will have to wait 'till I cool off and drink another gallon of water..
tongue.png

This is 'kind' of fun. I'll enjoy stunning people when I say "i built it myself" and everyone looks at my DH like.. 'yeah, right- you did most of it, right?'. Although, I will need his help to hold the walls up while I put them in. He's been watching the kids for me and keeping them out of my hair. I have a 3 yr old, 4 yr old, and a 7yr old. The youngest two are kind of a mess.
wink.png

Last edited:
I had 5 kids so I can empathize. It's great your hubby is watching the kids. He must be a rare jewel.
Renee, I'm working on my meds and coffee while I write. Just can't seem to get enough of either this morning though.

Quote:
Awwww, thank you so much!!! I'm just glad that my pictures are hiding the imperfections! LOL I found out yesterday when I laid down the subfloor I am out of square by about an inch! Which means, the pieces are on there a bit crazy and i had to take the SkillSaw to the ends and chop them off this morning. But I think even at that, it's still lining up as well as I can expect. I've never built anything, for sure. But I do a lot of quilting, sewing, knitting... things with my hands and having to figure out patterns, etc. I think being able to think conceptually (with fabrics) has helped me with wood. But... it's isn't over yet. And my ignorance has really slowed me down.
tongue.png
Oh- and I did eventually figure out that by putting the plate against the wood it was a bit better. But didn't figure that out until my hands were really hurting.

the coolest thing about chickens - is that they arent going to be in there with a level to double check your work - if its basically sound but not exactly perfect - they will still love you lol

Quote:
Awwww, thank you so much!!! I'm just glad that my pictures are hiding the imperfections! LOL I found out yesterday when I laid down the subfloor I am out of square by about an inch! Which means, the pieces are on there a bit crazy and i had to take the SkillSaw to the ends and chop them off this morning. But I think even at that, it's still lining up as well as I can expect. I've never built anything, for sure. But I do a lot of quilting, sewing, knitting... things with my hands and having to figure out patterns, etc. I think being able to think conceptually (with fabrics) has helped me with wood. But... it's isn't over yet. And my ignorance has really slowed me down.
tongue.png
Oh- and I did eventually figure out that by putting the plate against the wood it was a bit better. But didn't figure that out until my hands were really hurting.

the coolest thing about chickens - is that they arent going to be in there with a level to double check your work - if its basically sound but not exactly perfect - they will still love you lol

Thank you! although, I'm still trying my best to make it as perfect as I can. I am horrible with math, etc, and I'm using one of those tape measurers for Dummies that have every single line read out for me in red. I'm a bit bummed now- it's already 95 degrees and the sun shining is HOT. I was soooo hoping to have ONE wall done this morning! But I'm miserable out there.
sad.png
The sooner I get this done, the sooner my turkey has a 'real' home where I won't have to worry about the dogs that come up during the day. Even though my chicks don't come until October, I'm still on a time crunch so my turkey can get out of his 4X4 square temporary pen.

Quote:
oh! it's on my "View My BYC Page" link under my Profile picture!
smile.png

You did an awesome job on that dinner bell Hawkeye. Did you get it from here? Seems very inexpensive. I was expecting more.

Did you use enamel paint on that?

Edit for spelling. Blaming the heat on that.

Last edited:
Quote:
oh! it's on my "View My BYC Page" link under my Profile picture!
smile.png

You did an awesome job on that dinner bell Hawkeye. Did you get it from here? Seems very inexpensive. I was expecting more.

Did you use enamel paint on that?

Edit for spelling. Blaming the heat on that.

Yep! That is where I bought it! Isn't it cheap!? Great deal, I thought! I used acrylic paint and I'm going to put clear laquer over it to protect it from the elements.

Quote:
I already made my walls 6 foot- I thought about it and it would give me a bit more room for both the windows, doors, etc. I was getting kind of squeezed on space. OH and I found a great set of pictures that showed the boxes being framed out of 2X4's and I'm going to do it that way.

GeoKan- thanks for your input on wrapping it in tarpaper. I'd rather be overkill than be regretting a rotting box.

Renee- thanks for the link. I actually read that a couple of days ago when I was browsing your articles. I love your writing!

This is what I have accomplished this morning. I have more pics on my BYC Page, but this is the general idea, here. I still haven't cut the vertical boards to support the long horizontal boards. But it's getting there. It's taking a lot longer than I thought! I figured one wall would be done and over with. HA. I love how I continue to over estimate my own abilities. I have had to re-cut boards, re-do spaces... and of course, the morning would not be complete without dropping a nice heavy 2X4 on my foot. I now have a bruise and a bit of a limp.
hmm.png
Anyway, not to worry I am listening to you all and trying to incorporate your ideas and take your advice to heart. I appreciate all your advice!! Right now I am stuck. I need to screw in a board that is too tight for my drill. So I'm not sure what to do. I'm going to ask my DH what he thinks.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/96635_img_3121.jpg

There is an adapter you can get to make a bend- I don't remember what it's called. You can have the drill facing one way and drill a totally different angle. Someone help me out here...no ADD meds or coffee yet today...

Looks like you may get to get a new tool.

You can buy a tool or an adapter

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=552806

http://compare.ebay.com/like/330580836368?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Back
Top Bottom