Continued Lethargy After Deworming

chickapops

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2022
My 3 year old Buff Orpington hen has been very lethargic after I dewormed her using Valbazen. I initially decided to deworm due to her being lethargic. After deforming she did pass cecal and roundworm in her poops.

Since then, 2-3 days, she has still been lethargic and has now become wobbly on her feet and breathing with her mouth open. Her comb and wattles are pale. Her poops are watery and not solid. She hasn't been laying recently and is underweight. She will eat eggs and has been drinking on her own. I have given her a calcium citrate tablet and her water has been supplemented with electrolytes and vitamins.

Trying to figure out what the problem could be and how I can help her. Any help is appreciated.

Her mouth breathing seems to have stopped. She's still eating eggs and drinking water. A little improvement in the color of her comb and wattles but still not bright like they should be.

Would giving corid just in case be beneficial in any way?

Just for your information, Valbazen slowly kills worms over several days. Normally worms are absorbed as protein in the digestive tract. It's possible to see worms excreted in feces during that time frame if there was a heavy worm load. The toxicity of their excretions might be the cause of the symptoms your seeing. Excreted worms are dead or dying because they cant survive outside their host.

You can go ahead and give the Corid. It's certainly possible that the worms have weakened your Buff Orpington's immune system possibly causing coccidiosis. Corid will treat it.
After the Corid 5 day treatment, I recommend giving your BO plain boiled white rice mixed with buttermilk. The boiled rice will settle her innards and the buttermilk will coat intestinal lining, protecting it from coccidiosis. Also, buttermilk is a better probiotic than yogurt. Yogurt tends to run out the rear end.

Once you have done this, let us know how it turns out with your Buff Orpington. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom