Converting a large travel trailer to a coop

janiedoe

Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
May 7, 2017
East Texas
@aart @DobieLover @sourland

I have a 30 foot, 2008 or 2011 Tundra travel trailer with one pullout. We haven’t used in around 4 years, other than as storage.
The front window was broken out recently. The awning is in tatters. The floor is ok. The roof needs a new coat of waterproofing.
Electric and water still work.

This place is going to waste, and I'd like to house a flock.
I need to predator proof and open up all windows and doors for ventilation, but keep rain out. I want to add roosts, and a small brooder.
How can I do this, and keep my flock safe and dry?
Available resources:
I have about 3 rolls of 4' by 50' hardware cloth, 2 or 3 rolls 2' x 10', and several large scrap pieces. I have scrap lumber.
A few helpers for demo and construction. I haven't decided on a budget yet.
We have a hot climate here 3/4 of the year, and heavy rains spring and fall. Not much winter, but it has gotten below freezing for a few days, the last two years.
I read that an epoxy coating on the floors and walls help keep rodents out. Is this true?
20220906_080152.jpg
20220906_080252.jpg
20220906_080202.jpg
20220906_080241.jpg

20200829_171548.jpg
20190925_173207.jpg

Attachments

• 20220906_080216.jpg
    20220906_080216.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220906_080302.jpg
    20220906_080302.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220906_080332.jpg
    20220906_080332.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 2
I would think that it would be extremely difficult to provide sufficient ventilation while keeping the inside dry given that you have no roof overhangs at all. Additionally, there would be a LOT of labor in the demolition and reconstruction.

Given the extremely high prices on even fixer-upper travel trailers right now, are you sure that it wouldn't be more cost-effective to sell the trailer and buy a shed to convert? :)

I would think that it would be extremely difficult to provide sufficient ventilation while keeping the inside dry given that you have no roof overhangs at all. Additionally, there would be a LOT of labor in the demolition and reconstruction.

Given the extremely high prices on even fixer-upper travel trailers right now, are you sure that it wouldn't be more cost-effective to sell the trailer and buy a shed to convert? :)

My first thought when I read your post was that I could do an amazing reno job on your travel trailer and what a shame to turn it into a chicken coop. I'm sure you'd get a seller if you put it up for sale. You could get enough to buy a shed to convert like 3KillerBs mentioned.
I think you are better off selling it and putting that money to a new coop. You can easily end up with an additional $5K in your pocket. If you really want a mobile camper coop, buy a POS trailer that is no longer road worthy.

I considered that, but it is "planted" right in the middle of my butterfly bushes. We'd have to move those and other plants, as well as taking down a fence.
It would be a pita to get it out of here. However, I may consider trading it to a local builder in exchange for a new custom built chicken barn.

I am so envious! What a gem for a chicken palace! I have two camper coops for my chickens, which we made out of POS campers that people just wanted hauled away.

My biggest challenges and complaints:
1. Not enough ventilation. I have to use fans 24/7/365. Small ones, carefully placed to move air but not make it drafty. In summer I add a box fan.
2. Both of our POS campers had damage, rot and holes that had to be repaired to keep snakes, rodents and predators out. (I'm drooling over your camper - doesn't appear to have those issues!) They have no roof leaks, though - thank goodness.
3. Due to snakes still getting in, my shower/bath-converted-into-brooder didn't work out as I envisioned. Now I'll have to cut it into pieces to get it out the door if I can't solve the snake problem.
4. Haven't had an issue yet, but there's a possibility I'd have to crawl underneath to retrieve a sick or dead hen, or eggs.

Best things I LOVE about our camper coops:
1. Operable roof vents!
2. INSULATED!
3. Metal-encased & repaired, predators canNOT get in. Very secure. (except snakes!)
4. Portable!
5. Working electricity!
6. Provides plenty of cover, shade, and a breeze underneath. Hens love to dig holes and dust bathe or lay in those. And in winter, it stays snow-free, ice-free, and DRY.
7. If someone gets left out of the coop at night, they've got the axles to roost on.
8. I have jalousie windows (old campers) and LOVE these! I can adjust for ventilation and they keep rain out even when open.
9. CABINETS to store all the chicken equipment and materials.
10. Room to store barrels of feed and bags of wood chips inside.

Things I wish I'd done differently:
1. Epoxy on the floor. I installed new plywood, then used cheap sheet vinyl flooring and it's tearing everywhere due to scraping when I clean the coop.
2. Installed more wall vents up high.
3. Removed that cabinet where I always bang my head on the corner. Ouch!
4. Talked hubby into letting me fix the front awning/rock guard so I could use those windows! (He just doesn't "get" the need for ventilation year-round - and in winter, solar heat gain. It's an ongoing debate with us.)

Some other notes to consider:
1. I installed "bumpers" all around the perimeter of the walls inside, with 2x4's screwed into the floor. Makes scraping the edges and corners easier and sealed up points of rodent entry.
2. We put the campers up on blocks and store the tires in the barn to prevent rot, for when we want to move them.
3. You likely have storage areas underneath! I don't, but wish I did! Among other uses, it could be a weather-protected area to place outdoor feeders and waterers, nesting boxes, broody hens with or without chicks, isolation enclosure, more storage.... And at night, just close them up to keep raccoons out! What a bonus I wish I had.

Here's a link to our setup:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/camper-converted-into-chicken-coop.1367928/

@janiedoe I like the idea that you are thinking about repurposing it, but as you know here in the south it can get extremely hot in the summer, so that would be something to think about as far as converting it into a coop. I'm sure that you wouldn't want roast chicken before it's time. It would have to have ventilation along with a way to keep the rain and such out of it, and it would have to be able to withstand those hurricane wind's that you could get over there. The chicken's can't cook, so the stove could go if you do that. Otherwise I agree with the other's in selling it or trading it for something else better for a coop.

Back
Top Bottom