Coop 5x9 and run 9x15 advice please

That's going to be tight for the number of birds. Your coop holds about 11 large (not giant) fowl and run about 13. Might be able to fudge on coop space a little bit with a good layout and above recommended ventilation (14 sq ft+), but with both coop and run being tight on space I'd recommend downsizing the flock size.

That's going to be tight for the number of birds. Your coop holds about 11 large (not giant) fowl and run about 13. Might be able to fudge on coop space a little bit with a good layout and above recommended ventilation (14 sq ft+), but with both coop and run being tight on space I'd recommend downsizing the flock size.
Ok do you think 11 would be ok ? Also I’m a little confused on the ventilation. I have two windows 24”x24” on the north side. I was also going to put 2 4”x24” vents above the windows and one on the south side wall. The door is on the east side and the coop has a roof that looks like a lean to

Ok do you think 11 would be ok ? Are Bielefielders considered a giant breed ? If so, how many birds would you recommend ?

Also I’m a little confused on the ventilation. I have two windows 24”x24” on the north side. I was also going to put 2 4”x24” vents above the windows and one on the south side wall. The door is on the east side and the coop has a roof that looks like a lean to so to put vents on those sides near the roof would be small.

I believe Bielefielders are considered giants but not familiar with them so if someone corrects me on that, go with their answer. :) I sort of answered assuming that your average bird size was "large."

The less you crowd the birds, the fewer behavioral issues you'll see. If problems can be avoided in the first place, it's less stressful for you and for the flock.

You happen to have photos of the coop? Inside and out would be great. Mainly curious about the ventilation, and overall layout, if you've gotten to that point already.

Oh yes, also would be good to know your general location and/or climate (like how cold or snowy do winters get, how hot do summers get?) Numbers will change depending on these factors (example, in a very hot climate you want even more ventilation, as the coop can become like an oven).

I believe Bielefielders are considered giants but not familiar with them so if someone corrects me on that, go with their answer. :) I sort of answered assuming that your average bird size was "large."

The less you crowd the birds, the fewer behavioral issues you'll see. If problems can be avoided in the first place, it's less stressful for you and for the flock.

You happen to have photos of the coop? Inside and out would be great. Mainly curious about the ventilation, and overall layout, if you've gotten to that point already.

Oh yes, also would be good to know your general location and/or climate (like how cold or snowy do winters get, how hot do summers get?) Numbers will change depending on these factors (example, in a very hot climate you want even more ventilation, as the coop can become like an oven).
I live in Southern Ontario where the winters get down to -20 to -25 Celsius. Summers are hot and humid 30+ degrees Celsius. I can take some pics tomorrow for you.

I live in Southern Ontario where the winters get down to -20 to -25 Celsius. Summers are hot and humid 30+ degrees Celsius. I can take some pics tomorrow for you.

So hot isn't too overly hot and can probably be managed by providing a good amount of shade and keeping the birds hydrated, but it does get fairly cold... how much snow, and for how long? Problem when you're looking at long winters, is sometimes birds will not want to come out, and if that's the case, crowding becomes more pronounced as birds can coop up for entire days. In that case I'd recommend giving them even more space inside the coop, 6 or even 8 sq ft per bird. You can try mitigating some of that by weatherproofing the run the best you can, providing wind breaks, shoveling snow out, etc.

So hot isn't too overly hot and can probably be managed by providing a good amount of shade and keeping the birds hydrated, but it does get fairly cold... how much snow, and for how long? Problem when you're looking at long winters, is sometimes birds will not want to come out, and if that's the case, crowding becomes more pronounced as birds can coop up for entire days. In that case I'd recommend giving them even more space inside the coop, 6 or even 8 sq ft per bird. You can try mitigating some of that by weatherproofing the run the best you can, providing wind breaks, shoveling snow out, etc.
We usually get snow from early December until late March. I was planning on winter proofing the run with some type of tarp or plastic making sure to keep the top part open all the way around. As for their roosts in the coop, the highest one is 4’. The vents would be about 2 feet higher than that. Is that ok ?

Also I’m a little confused on the ventilation.
Please post pics of your coop, inside and out.

I live in Southern Ontario
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1587337829951.png

Back
Top Bottom