Coops for the Severely Unhandy

Strong Bad

Songster
Feb 11, 2023
New Jersey
Hello Everyone!

New to BYC, and so glad I’m here. With 2 long decades in the making, we are finally getting chickens this Spring. Four Orpington pullets to be exact. And I couldn’t be happier!

Here’s the deal! My husband & I are extremely unhandy. Our skills & strengths lie elsewhere. This puts in us in a bit of a pickle when it comes to building a coop.

Early on, we decided we will just assemble a pre-fab. However, I’m having a tough time finding “the one”.

Here’s where I would really appreciate your feedback:

1) Is there a coop design out
there that is for the un-
handy?

2) Any pre-lab favorites that
you have enjoyed?

Thanks you, everyone! Appreciate your feedback & kindness! :love

Hello Everyone!

New to BYC, and so glad I’m here. With 2 long decades in the making, we are finally getting chickens this Spring. Four Orpington pullets to be exact. And I couldn’t be happier!

Here’s the deal! My husband & I are extremely unhandy. Our skills & strengths lie elsewhere. This puts in us in a bit of a pickle when it comes to building a coop.

Early on, we decided we will just assemble a pre-fab. However, I’m having a tough time finding “the one”.

Here’s where I would really appreciate your feedback:

1) Is there a coop design out
there that is for the un-
handy?

2) Any pre-lab favorites that
you have enjoyed?

Thanks you, everyone! Appreciate your feedback & kindness! :love
I'd start by looking at hoop coops
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/top-10-hoop-coop-ideas.76490/

:welcome

The fact that you're researching this before you get your chickens is great!

Most prefab coops sold in stores and online are WAY too small. Don't waste your money.

If you hire someone to build a coop, ask to see what they've made in the past. If they've never built a coop -- and even if they have -- they may not know what makes a good coop.

Read the articles here on BYC about building coops. Several people repurpose existing structures and use those. Buying a shed and retrofitting it as a coop is another possibility, but expect to spend some money on that.

Hoop coops (as already mentioned) might be something you can make yourself without spending a lot of money.

If you find something you think will work, take lots of pictures, inside and out, and post them. Lots of people here have lots of experience and will give you lots of advice. Good luck!

Depending on where you are ... hoops can be setup with steel t-posts and that makes them even easier. That's what I did for my run. I got the idea from Blooie

lots of good pics here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/motel-chix.67240/

IMG_20210713_181751_268.jpg

I'm not especially handy, so I naturally gravitated to the Cattle Panel Hoop Coop/run design. It's very easy to attach 2x4s or 4x4s together-you can get deck hardware to connect the base/frame if you aren't sure how to screw it together. You can use a handheld reciprocating saw to cut 2x4s for the door frame quickly and easily. You can make an easy door out of 2x4s with a "no sag gate kit" from Amazon...Of course, it's not necessary, plenty of youtube vids on how to make a door out of 2x2s or 2x4s with simple materials, but you said you aren't handy and these kits really make it a breeze.

Get yourself a decent Impact driver for around $50 and research the hardware you will use-for example, if you are using treated wood, certain types of screws don't react well with it over time. 95% of the time it takes will be screwing the cattle panels to the frame, and attaching 1/2"hardware cloth to the panels with hog rings (or whatever you choose) Building one of these well is within virtually anyone's reach, good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom