Corn okay for baby chicks?

sacchicken931

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
Sacramento
The feed I bought for the baby chicks has a note in it that says don't feed them anything else. But they go nuts over the corn, raw or cooked, I give them. They are 2 weeks old. Is it okay to give them the corn?

I agree. If you do give them any treats besides their chick feed, I would suggest some free choice chick grit. Some people don't worry about i. If they are outside they will pick up dirt and small stones. I still provide chick grit to my baby chicks. I have used regular grit and smashed it finer. Sometimes I go to TSC and pick up a bag of Chick Grit. I always have grit available to all of my birds and also Oyster Shells for my Layers.

Last edited:
Actually, it's probably better to severely limit anything other than chick starter in the first two months. They grow at an astounding rate and need all the protein and vitamins they can get. If you feed them goodies, that lowers the protein content. Corn is only about 8% protein.

no no no on the corn. sure they love it - but if they could, most kids would probably sit around and eat a bowl of sugar with chocolate syrup on top!

think about it this way - those chicks has tiny little bellies and if its full of anything but the chick starter - they could die of malnutrition even if they are full. one of my buddies lost a batch of chicks b/c he accidentally was taking feed out of the layer bag... they all died.

your chickies will love the corn just as much when they are older

:)

and arent they the cutest things you've ever seen!?! i swear you dont need tv you just need to sit around and watch how cute they are

:)

I held my corn back (scratch) from feeding mine until they were 4 months old. Now they LOVE it as a treat, and start eating it out of my hand and cup before I can get it on the ground. Their other favorite is cantaloupe.

Well, they'll survive on anything with nutrition. And of course, starter has ground/processed grains in it. For optimal health, I personally still hold to feeding an all-inclusive starter for the first two months, to get the best start. If they have access to feeds of other animals on a farm, they get all sorts of things that they don't being raised in a brooder, certainly. And we wont even talk about broody-raised chicks! They eat just about everything under the sun when mama takes them out on range.

Back
Top Bottom