Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Okay I need someone to tell me its okay to process the quail hens. In the first batch of 12 I had 3 hens 9 roos. Easy kept one roo and the hens. These are now my breeders. I hatched off 3 groups of 12 from them. Group #1 5 hens 4 roos. Group #2 cat ate. Group #3 1 hen 7 roos.

Its time to process group #1. I've tried to find a market for the eggs, but haven't. I don't need 9 hens to feed over winter. I pulled the hen and a roo from group #3 and have them and a hen from #1. I'm thinking I may trade those for a turkey or keep at least the pair from #3.

What else to do? Any suggestions?
Trading is always good! I prefer to barter than process anything here, but... I raise animals to feed my family. I set a timeline. Yep, it bends, I have favorites but in reality you have to look at cost to keep them longer. Quail need to be 8 weeks for me, anything longer is costing me too much to keep. They eat a lot if you keep them longer and don't process. I look at the food value for my family and what its costing me. Birds any gender need to be moved ASAP.

How long do they live?
3 years is average. Mine are rotated every 6 months.

im thinking of getting a pair or trio of coturnix .Can they live in an aviary with budgies?
They'll get on with the budgies just fine but you should consider more than a pair or trio. Coturnix males breed very aggressively and while sometimes a pair is ok in a large space like an aviary, the male can breed the female to death(happen quite often in pairs or trios of cots). I would recommend getting one roo and at least 3 hens so he isn't wearing any particular one out.

I have been told to put quail eggs under my bantam broody chicken for incubation and hatching. I was also told that the chicken will kill these babies. Is that so? That would be horrible but if I could get on of my hens to hatch the eggs from my quail pair that would be good. No shortage of broody bantam hens.

Is there a good way to encourage the quail hen to brood her eggs? Any advice on providing nesting material and place for her to up the chances that she will take over the mothering role?

I have been told to put quail eggs under my bantam broody chicken for incubation and hatching. I was also told that the chicken will kill these babies. Is that so? That would be horrible but if I could get on of my hens to hatch the eggs from my quail pair that would be good. No shortage of broody bantam hens.

Is there a good way to encourage the quail hen to brood her eggs? Any advice on providing nesting material and place for her to up the chances that she will take over the mothering role?
Bantams if you let them raise them end up squishing the chicks. If you just let her hatch them they won't necessarily die.

Chickens carry several diseases and parasites that they are resistant to but are fatal to quail. For the sake of the species it's best if everyone practices bio security between handling their chickens and quail. If people keep mixing them in ten years I'll be sitting here telling people how quail carry these diseases and you need to keep them away from everything else.

What diseases and parasite do quail get from chickens...just curious. Im keeping the two species separate but Id still like some data on this. Can you please continue to share your knowledge regarding the potential health problems presented if chickens and quail are allowed to intermingle?

Couple quick questions. My quail haven't been laying. I just bought them about a week ago, but they looked like they were going through a molt. How long should I give them before I can expect them to lay? Can I speed up this process at all? Also, I purchased 2 trios, all of which I picked myself and was certain that I had trios and not pairs. However, one of the females had started looking... Manly. She's a lot more rusty and doesn't have many spots. Do quail go through "sex changes" like chickens if something happens to their reproductive system?

What type of quail? And no quail do not go through color changes. Certain color phases of certain species autosex but otherwise you have to vent sex. If you post pictures I can be more helpful.

Back
Top Bottom