Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

How old are you? My daughter raised rats, hamsters and gerbils as her own business when she was 10. She sold them to pet stores and put up ads. She was saving up for a snake. And she got it too! She did that for about 7 years.

See if you can find people who would be interested in buying them. You could sell some of your ducks too. Parents don't want to be stuck with a big feed bill and then have you lose interest. My kid moved on to photography.

I just had to share this, my very confused male coturnix quail.... He's got about six button quail chicks under him.

Babies following him

Aww how cute:)

Is there a way of convincing my dad to get jumbo cots, be says we have too many birds, so I'm going to try selling ducklings next year. I can easily make a run for them, I already have a suitable coop... any ideas, I have presented him with facts. Trying to convince him I have failed, but I will not give.
With all the species I keep (Quail, guinea, turkey, chickens, geese & duck), they are the least expensive, easiest to keep and maintain. Fast to process, eggs are awesome. Meat and eggs are nutrient rich. Its a total win-win and can be done in a very small area, opposed to ducks for example. Small investment for an excellent turnover.

Wanted to add, I dry incubate also. Even in the inexpensive foam incubator I had huge success with quail. Just upped humidity 2 days before at lockdown. I have an old drafty home, and especially in the winter its hard to keep moisture in. The sportsman cabinet has been even better, will say that but I had great hatches even in the LG foam bators.

Hi,
Looking for advise as one of my japanese girls has managed to hatch some babies!
First time she started sitting she hadn't got the hang of turning the eggs and the chicks didn't form properly.
but this year we had 6 chicks hatch out of which 3 survived :)
We have 1 male and 2 females in a hutch/run so when they started to hatch we shut the other two adults out in the run, about a week in somehow the door got open and one of the other adults killed one of the babies, so now down to 2.
But these two have grown up nice and healthy and now at the stage where they have their adult feathers in and I have 1 male 1 female.
After all that, my main question is do I now need to separate them from the other adults, and from each other? they're proably at the 5-6 week age.

Hi,
Looking for advise as one of my japanese girls has managed to hatch some babies!
First time she started sitting she hadn't got the hang of turning the eggs and the chicks didn't form properly.
We have 1 male and 2 females in a hutch/run so when they started to hatch we shut the other two adults out in the run, about a week in somehow the door got open and one of the other adults killed one of the babies, so now down to 2.
But these two have grown up nice and healthy and now at the stage where they have their adult feathers in and I have 1 male 1 female.
After all that, my main question is do I now need to separate them from the other adults, and from each other? they're proably at the 5-6 week age.

I think it would be time to introduce them to the flock, seperate them if you don't want inbreeding. You know who the relatives are? Keep them separated from the relatives, unless they are the same sex. This should help prevent inbreeding. Awesome I wish I had a broody... anything! I've always wanted a broody bird but I haven't gotten lucky yet.

Hi,
If you can provide a separated area where they are close or next to each other but through a wire fence. That worked really well for me. I only had to keep them separated for half the day and when I opened the door between the two areas the one group went one way and the other group migrated into the other pen area. It was funny...the grass is always greener you know. Anyway, not serious fighting or anything. Some of the older females growled and chased some of the younger males when the males tried to mate with them but that is about it. Here in the SF bay area we were having a very hot spell so I think it was a good time to introduce as they were so hot and tired from the high temps that they didnt have the energy to complain anyway. I did introduce about 12 new ones to a group of 6 at that time.

Had quite an educational phone convo with Robby at James Marie farms. Wow, one of the most impressive persons I have spoken to in a while. Excited to receive my eggs next week. Its been mentioned before..and I will point out again Robby stresses the first 10 days to 2 weeks of the baby quails life determines his size, vigor and health later. He recommends 30% protein feed. Also suggests separating quail egg yolk from whites, dehydrating in the oven at low temp over night on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Grind the dried yolk up and sprinkle on the feed to boost the chicks if you feel your hatch is sluggish, or needs a boost.
I could have talked to him another hour! Its difficult to find a supplier of that 30% feed, and as he suggested I will buy extra bags and freeze them so its always on hand.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
Had quite an educational phone convo with Robby at James Marie farms. Wow, one of the most impressive persons I have spoken to in a while. Excited to receive my eggs next week. Its been mentioned before..and I will point out again Robby stresses the first 10 days to 2 weeks of the baby quails life determines his size, vigor and health later. He recommends 30% protein feed. Also suggests separating quail egg yolk from whites, dehydrating in the oven at low temp over night on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Grind the dried yolk up and sprinkle on the feed to boost the chicks if you feel your hatch is sluggish, or needs a boost.
I could have talked to him another hour! Its difficult to find a supplier of that 30% feed, and as he suggested I will buy extra bags and freeze them so its always on hand.

I just bought some. My local farm supply was nice enough to order it for me. Purina Gamebird Starter 0001381. $24 for 50 lb bag

Back
Top Bottom