Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Here's the pic of our white quail. Guess only one pic per post will load:)

If the eggs are fertile, but after 20 days you pull a couple and check em there was no development. Check the other 18 same no development what would cause that? Not saying they were fertile but I have hatched over 50 with the same hens/roo combo. Just set 30 but before I did checked several and all had a white spot. Temps were 99.5 humidity stayed in the upper 50's to upper 60's with a couple of readings low 70's let me know what you think.
You say the ones you checked had a white spot. As far as I know, all eggs have a white spot. If you want to check for fertility, you need to look for the bulls eye - white spot with a white circle around it. If that's not there, maybe your roo is too old? Or maybe the eggs were too old when you started incubating them?

I have two roos one with four hens and one with another four hens. They are all about a year old. Eggs were fresh I get 8 a day so I saved up 20 (3 days) and set them the next. Raining here now but when it stops I will go gather eggs and check for the bulls eye. Any way I set 36 of the last ones I gathered in the past week.

Thank you so much! I suspect she was pulling my leg because she knows I'm originally a city girl who is trying to learn all this. Still building a second coop though, these little birds are addictive!

A question....
Do blue tongue lizards attack quails? Feed my 6 week olds this morning, one is bleeding either side of the beak..... there was a smallish blue tongue in their cage..... thought maybe the quail got curious and the lizard bite it....... is this possible or is it more likely they have been fighting. There are 10 not sure on there sex but going by the chests I would say at least 4 males. Will take pics later if you like...

Had a closer look.... the top half of the beak has gone...... to about half way, it can still drink but not sure about it, please tell me it will grow back, already lost enough from this batch, and yes it is a male, is it is crowing..... Please help, should it be separate or was it the lizard that did it?

I'd separate it no matter who did it, quail tend to be harsh on anyone that is weak or bleeding. 4 males for 6 females is way too much anyway, you only need 1 or max 2 males for 6 females. And one male per cage.
I think the beak might grow back if only a little is missing, but even if it doesn't, there is a fair chance it will be able to survive without the beak, but that requires some special care - make sure its feed and water is in somewhat deep containers so it can put its lower beak in so far that it'll be able to reach it with what's left of the top beak. And perhaps feed it soft food for the first few days while any open wounds heal.
Don't know if the lizard could have done it.

My grand uncle just asked me for more hens.... he said he has way to many roos... I'm sitting over here with 5 roos and 4 hens (don't worry only one roo is with the hens everyone else are caged in a run... Any tips? Would Roo's sell well in a co-op? I don't kill my birds so...

I'm in the same boat, I just won't kill them....I don't know what your yard set up is but I have a greenhouse we are quickly outgrowing. Once the new one is up we're converting it for the roos...instead of freezer camp, I'm sending mine to summer camp!

You may be able to find homes for them as pets, they have amazing personalities are get really tame if you handle them a lot!

Good Luck and please let us know what you wind up doing with them

Back
Top Bottom