Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

What should I feed my quail now that they're laying? I was so very surprised to get 2 eggs this morning! Unfortunately, I broke one cleaning it because it was very thin. Do I give them oyster shells like chickens?

What should I feed my quail now that they're laying? I was so very surprised to get 2 eggs this morning! Unfortunately, I broke one cleaning it because it was very thin. Do I give them oyster shells like chickens?
How was the shell on the other egg, was it normal? You can offer free choice oyster/egg shells but if you are feeding them a good feed w/protein around 30% it should have more than enough calcium included. I was getting perfect eggs from all 9 of my females then all of a sudden I got 3 consecutive shelless eggs, not thin shell but actually membrane only... I added free choice calcium but I haven't seen them eat any of it.

How was the shell on the other egg, was it normal? You can offer free choice oyster/egg shells but if you are feeding them a good feed w/protein around 30% it should have more than enough calcium included. I was getting perfect eggs from all 9 of my females then all of a sudden I got 3 consecutive shelless eggs, not thin shell but actually membrane only... I added free choice calcium but I haven't seen them eat any of it.
Perfectly normal, just very thin. It broke when I wiped it with a paper towel. Feed stores around me only offer about 26-28%, I can't remember which. I'll definitely put some oyster shells in the cage and see if they eat it. Could it be because they're young?

Also, what are some thoughts on feeding quail timothy hay pellets, just as a treat or on occasion?

Perfectly normal, just very thin. It broke when I wiped it with a paper towel. Feed stores around me only offer about 26-28%, I can't remember which. I'll definitely put some oyster shells in the cage and see if they eat it. Could it be because they're young?

Also, what are some thoughts on feeding quail timothy hay pellets, just as a treat or on occasion?
Yeah, thin shells can happen when first laying. Do you just wipe them off or do you wash them? 26/28% is good, but you should some other type of protein to up the %, it should be a meat protein since quail aren't vegetarians.
I have never used hay pellets but as stated above treats should be meat protein; meal worms, wet cat food (but not all the time). I mix my Scratch & Peck Starter feed (all natural and non GMO) with fish meal. It was suggested to use 1lb fish meal to 2 lbs feed, basically a 2:1 ratio. Too much fish meal might give the meat and eggs a fishy taste.

Yeah, thin shells can happen when first laying. Do you just wipe them off or do you wash them? 26/28% is good, but you should some other type of protein to up the %, it should be a meat protein since quail aren't vegetarians.
I have never used hay pellets but as stated above treats should be meat protein; meal worms, wet cat food (but not all the time). I mix my Scratch & Peck Starter feed (all natural and non GMO) with fish meal. It was suggested to use 1lb fish meal to 2 lbs feed, basically a 2:1 ratio. Too much fish meal might give the meat and eggs a fishy taste.

Wash with a soapy paper towel. They were pretty dirty. Alright. Where do you get fish meal? I've never seen it, and honestly wonder if it's available in TN. Lol

Wash with a soapy paper towel. They were pretty dirty. Alright. Where do you get fish meal? I've never seen it, and honestly wonder if it's available in TN. Lol
I only wash mine if I plan on eating them, and then just before. I never wash them especially if I'm going to incubate, this allows germs and bacteria in!!!

You might have to Google it, I found mine but it is a long distance sort of thing.

I only wash mine if I plan on eating them, and then just before. I never wash them especially if I'm going to incubate, this allows germs and bacteria in!!!

You might have to Google it, I found mine but it is a long distance sort of thing.

I put them in the fridge because I have no counter space to leave them out! Lol. If I had the space id leave it out. I'll have to do some research. I really want them to have the optimal diet for laying/dressing

From the Crazy H-Bar Ranch;
For those of you who breed... When you have runts who appear healthy but are not growing: Do you; kill, cull. or keep? No judging, thanks!

Make sure the oyster shells are small enough that the quail can easily eat it. Most oyster shell is geared toward chickens eating it and is too large for them to eat most of the pieces.

From the Crazy H-Bar Ranch;
For those of you who breed... When you have runts who appear healthy but are not growing: Do you; kill, cull. or keep? No judging, thanks!
I cull them. It's not worth wasting the feed on them. They are usually dog or snake food.

Back
Top Bottom