Coturnix Quail Colors -- Quail discussion thread

Pics

orloffer

Crowing
Jun 10, 2020
SF Bay Area, CA
I was wondering whether my coturnix quail have standard colors, and if not, what colors were mixed to result in them. Information about genetics is appreciated.
There are two generations of quail. The first generation were hatched from purchased eggs, and the second generation were hatched from the eggs of the first generation.

First generation, Quail #1 (male, fathered all second generation birds):
IMG_6226 (1).jpg
First generation, Quail #2 (female):
IMG_5657.jpg
First generation, Quail #3 (female):
IMG_3614.JPG
First generation, Quail #4 (female):
IMG_5646.JPG
----------------------
Second generation, Quail #5 (male, father is Quail #1 and mother is one of the 3 females):
IMG_6252.JPG
Second generation, Quail #6 (male, father is Quail #1 and one of the 3 females):
IMG_6254.JPG
Second generation, Quail #7, (female, the one in the front. Father is Quail #1 and one of the 3 females) Information about the one behind it would be helpful as well:
IMG_6273.JPG
Second generation, Quail #8 (male, father is Quail #1 and one of the 3 females):
IMG_6260 - Edited.jpg

Very, very interessing!

Your father seems to be a Calico. I am not 100% sure, as this color is quite new here in germany and I have no experience or references of their inheritance and genetics.

Mothers are a Rosetta(#2), a Tibetan (#3) and an Italian (#4).

So, I have no real clue of the F2 generation, but beautyful colors. It seems that the dilution factor of the Calico does very nice effects.

#6 seems to be a very light Rosetta.
#8 seems to be a Manchurian, which indicates that the Calico has heterozygotous gene of Gold/Manchurian and is probably son of #4 (edit: Italians are heterozygotous Gold/Manchurian and Pharaoh/Wildpattern)

#5 and #7 are so beautyful and have no typical color I now.
But #5 probably has the heterozygotous Pharaoh gene from #4 and diluted by the father.
#7 is from 2 or 3, but never saw such a cool mix.

Congratulations for this breeding result.

Thank you for the response! We had a lot of males in the 2nd generation (I didn't post pictures of all of them), and we gave most of them away. We still have Quail #5 (Aurelius) and two females, Quail #7 (Beatrix) and a daughter of Quail #3, which hasn't any name and is not pictured above.

You are welcome!

Thank you for sharing your breeding results. It is always very interessting for me, as I am trying to get more and more into genetics of Japanese Quails 👍

Back
Top Bottom