Cracked Duckling Bill - Advice Needed

walter123

In the Brooder
May 9, 2023
My dog got ahold of our duckling’s bill and cracked it. 😭

I read to just keep it clean and it will heal on its own, but any advice?

We’re planning to clean it with saline solution and put antibiotic ointment on it.

Should we try to pull the cracked piece together with steri strips?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if there are any human wound cleaning techniques we should avoid then please let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_4452.jpeg
    IMG_4452.jpeg
    396.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4454.jpeg
    IMG_4454.jpeg
    268.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4458.jpeg
    IMG_4458.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4462.jpeg
    IMG_4462.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 8
That's a good idea clean it real good and put antibiotic ointment on it. It should heal fine, I don't know if steri strips would even stay on since they have to have water and they usually get their whole face submerged. It will heal it will just take time. When my gander poked a hole in his bill I added some ACV to his drinking water since it will kill some bacteria. If you have chickens don't let the duckling around them with a wound.
And keep an eye on your dog it could have been much worse.

I think it will heal on its own, but would be tempted to VERY CAREFIULLY Crazy Glue it back together. That would definitely require a steady hand and the help of someone else to hold the duckling very still.
Oh man. Any advice on how to go about that? Do you put something between their bills or just use a really really small amount? Just regular super glue?

That's a good idea clean it real good and put antibiotic ointment on it. It should heal fine, I don't know if steri strips would even stay on since they have to have water and they usually get their whole face submerged. It will heal it will just take time. When my gander poked a hole in his bill I added some ACV to his drinking water since it will kill some bacteria. If you have chickens don't let the duckling around them with a wound.
And keep an eye on your dog it could have been much worse.
Thank you. They just became tall enough to stick their bills out of the crate over the cardboard walls I made, so those walls are getting bigger tonight!

Do you think we should try to glue it or just leave it be to heal?

I would have someone hold the duckling and put a small piece of cardboard between the bill in case any of the glue should happen to seep or spill through the bill. I think the glue is a good idea as that is what I would do too for it. Just be careful not to let it glue the bill shut. Good Luck with it.

I recently posted about one of my ducks after a raccoon attack. I worried that the best thing was to put her down but after a few days of recovering from the shock, plus tender loving care she survived. Despite the fact Miracle is missing about half an inch of her top bill, she is doing fine now.
Good luck with yours.

I recently posted about one of my ducks after a raccoon attack. I worried that the best thing was to put her down but after a few days of recovering from the shock, plus tender loving care she survived. Despite the fact Miracle is missing about half an inch of her top bill, she is doing fine now.
Good luck with yours.
Thank you. I just read through your thread about your duck. That gives me so much hope. I saw someone comment about Veterycin, did you end up spraying that on the bill or just the duck’s body?

People above said glue the bill together, which we’re considering, but we’re a bit nervous and may opt to just leave it alone because our duckling is acting as if nothing is wrong so far. I’m hoping this is one of those “looks worse than it is” type of injuries, but it sure scared me!

Attachments

• IMG_4472.jpeg
    IMG_4472.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom