creating a new breed (serama x nn) PLEASE HELP...

crazy_egg

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 25, 2010
so i crossed a serama male with a nn female and only got a cockerel. i want to make a new breed, naked neck seramas! how do i start? do i use the cockerel and breed it to female seramas and start the breeding process from there??/

That would be a good start. Of course in the next generation, only some will be NN so then you'll breed the daddy back to the daughters that are NN or a resultant NN cockeral to the resultant NN pullets... then you'll have to breed back to pure serama females again and keep the resultant NN's again. ... eventually you'll get NN seramas. I'll bet they'll be cute.

@Mahonri. thank you very much. i understand now and cant wait to get a female for my cockerel!
wee.gif

It depends on what you want the final result to look like. The Naked Neck gene is dominant so as long as they have one copy of the right gene, they will show the naked neck.

The way I read your post, you want the final result to look like a Serama except to have the naked neck. I don't know the genetics behind the coloring and pattern of the Serama or especially which color and pattern NN you started with. What I'd suggest is that you keep breeding the offspring to Seramas until you get some chicks that look like you want the final result to be, but always choose for the naked neck. Once you start getting some chicks that look like you want them to, start breeding them to each other. Eventually they should breed true.

I don't know how many genes from the original NN you are going to have to replace with the Serama genes. That's going to depend some on the genetic make-up of your original NN. All you are after from the NN is the NN gene. I would not breed back to anything other than a Serama or an offspring of the mix. Just keep repeating breeding the offspring to a Serama or mixing the best offspring until you get what you want. You may get what you want fairly soon or it may take many generations.

It depends on what you want the final result to look like. The Naked Neck gene is dominant so as long as they have one copy of the right gene, they will show the naked neck.
The way I read your post, you want the final result to look like a Serama except to have the naked neck. I don't know the genetics behind the coloring and pattern of the Serama or especially which color and pattern NN you started with. What I'd suggest is that you keep breeding the offspring to Seramas until you get some chicks that look like you want the final result to be, but always choose for the naked neck. Once you start getting some chicks that look like you want them to, start breeding them to each other. Eventually they should breed true.
I don't know how many genes from the original NN you are going to have to replace with the Serama genes. That's going to depend some on the genetic make-up of your original NN. All you are after from the NN is the NN gene. I would not breed back to anything other than a Serama or an offspring of the mix. Just keep repeating breeding the offspring to a Serama or mixing the best offspring until you get what you want. You may get what you want fairly soon or it may take many generations.

thank you for the info/help. it might take a decade or more to make them breed true but i am very determined to do so. this is my goal and cant wait!

Back
Top Bottom