Dark Cornish X Bresse chickens as a meat bird?

ChickenFox

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 5, 2013
West Virginia
I'm currently daydreaming of days that may be a long time off but I'm wanting to raise a small flock for meat in the future and I was wondering about crossing white bresse with dark cornish? I've had both breeds at one point but sadly didn't get to enjoy them on my table. In the future I would love to have a small flock of self sustaining birds for the table but I don't want anything to do with the traditional Cornish X broilers. I'm also trying to avoid the rangers and such.

Has anyone raised a cross of these breeds? Or a similar crossing? I've read the threads on the Toad's that some are breeding and raising and I find those highly impressive but I wouldn't need such a large bird for my needs.

I was thinking of having a small flock consisting of a Dark Cornish Roo with a couple Bresse and Cornish hens. Hatch out and raise a dozen or 2 in the spring then again in the fall to be butchered in the fall then following spring.

Thoughts?

That sounds awesome! Crosses sometimes have less issues than your average commercial meat-bird. I raised a dozen jumbo white Cornish last year. SO sad. They were huge, couldn't walk very well, they just weren't happy. I've heard dark Cornish are great! In fact I'm getting a number of them this spring for heritage meat birds. I've also heard Bresse's are the best tasting meat bird ever. I just can't find any for sale near me. excited to hear how this turns out! Maybe i'll have to try raising a few as well.

Sounds perfectly viable to me. Of course most prefer the white because of the pinfeathers and such, but I know White Cornish are even harder to get ahold of. Personally, I don't mind dark feathers, as I'd rather remove all the pins than cook them anyway.

You could even keep back a few nice cross pullets and breed back to the sire and see what you get.

When you do find white Cornish you will have to sell the farm to buy them.
That is true; however, they do sell Slow-Growing Cornish Crosses. I cannot find the history of these birds, but it’s speculated that they were bred back to a pure Cornish. Their growth rate is much closer to normal birds. I have a friend who owns one and she is growing at a similar rate (only slightly faster) as other dual purpose birds and she doesn’t seem to exhibit the same bone and health problems of the Fast-Growing variety.

Last edited:
I think white plymouth rocks crossed with a white bresse will produce some fast growing hybrids. White cornish tend to mature the latest, so its slow growing. The vigor comes from the white plymouth in cornish rock crosses.

Back
Top Bottom