Depression Era recipes..(and others like it)

Being a single man, and being frugal and economically challenged, at the moment, making meat go as far as possible, is my big thing. Therefore, I make lots of soups and stews.

Tonight's recipe:

2 cups dried pintos and navy beans, soaked for eight hours.

1 onion: chopped, coursely.
3 cloves garlic
Some dried hot peppers
4 turnips/ with greens: chopped
6 collard leaves: chopped.
4 slices of bacon: fried crisp/ with drippings.
A few drops of liquid smoke.
A tablespoon of Worchestershire sauce.
Black pepper
Salt, after the beans are cooked.
Throw it all in a pot, and simmer, for about 2 hours.

While cooking, I made a batch of egg noodles, and dropped them in, the last twenty minutes.

I'll be eating it, for the next 3 or 4 nights.

We have one we call "dog food". I don't know what the official recipe name is, or if it even has one..
Can of corned beef mixed with a can of cream of celery soup( or cream of mushroom, but the celery soup is yummier) , and a soup can of milk. Throw in a few slices of american or swiss cheese, and serve over noodles. Fast, easy, cheap, and even my picky eater loved it.
In fact, one day,in the middle of the crowded grocery store, she asked if we could have dog food for dinner that night, and cheered when I agreed. We sure got a bunch of alarmed stares- and had cell phones been as common then as they are now, I have a feeling CPS woud have been called.

Good recipes guys! Thanks!
smile.png

I saw this recipe somewhere. It had a main ingredient of eggs. I thought it was a mix of eggs and cornstarch or something. I think it is a Spanish sounding name. It was very cheap and simple used in impoverished places and during the depression. I want to say flouta but that is not it. it is not flan either. it is a very very simple recipe something like eggs and flour...that's it. I think it makes almost like a pancake or biscuit type substance. Maybe even like a "slop" or porridge. Thanks! I figured you guys would know!

Don't know what it is, but I am delighted to see this thread revive!

Perhaps a Frittatta?

Sometimes it's called a torta espanola, but basically an open faced omelet that goes under the broiler or in the oven briefly, after the bottom has set.

Last edited:
I have two:

Grandma Donnelly's Special Macceroni

1 box elbow macaroni
2 cans Hunts tomato sauce ************NOT SPAGHETTI SAUCE...the squat cans********************
Velveeta cheese to taste- my mom uses 1/2 a block, I like more sauce, less cheese. Grandma made it the way I liked it.

Boil And drain pasta
Add Velveeta cheese chunks
add hunts sauce

serve.

Canjica

http://www.pinkbites.com/2009/03/hominy-and-coconut-pudding-canjica.html

Made the "grandma's chocolate cake" today and it is AWESOME!!! DH says it takes him back to a cake his grandmother used to make when he was a kid (he's almost 40). It will definitely become a regular in our house.
big_smile.png

49849_dsc03482.jpg

Back
Top Bottom