Devastated... Lost 7 of 13 chicks last night.

To every thing there is a season. You can not plan for everything, and even if you could, something would just happen and change it all in the blink of an eye. The dog was curious and just being a dog, but it needs to understand what it did was bad and not acceptable. It will learn, just as we do to have fewer mistakes down the road. The biggest thing is to learn from these happenings and just do your best. No one can ask more. Time heals....Thanks for choosing to raise along with us. You're part of the team. Reach out when needed. It's therapeutic!

Thank you!! This community has been so helpful. I am happy to be here!

I so feel your pain. I have never posted or replied before but I wanted to help you feel better. We had a chicken that was partially blind last year, our first year having chickens. She had to be lifted up on the roost each night and down each morning, as she would try jumping on the shadow on the wall and couldnt see to get down. She would follow us around too, because she trusted us. We started to free range the chickens. A neighbors dog (very small weiner type dog) made it onto our property and tore her up. She couldn't fly up on the perches. She was still alive and was missing her back skin. We nursed her for almost two weeks before she passed. We loved her every bit as much as the house pets.
The best advice I can give is that its a learning curve, it hurts, but now you can be attentive to all your animals instincts and needs. I absolutely love being a Chicken Momma and watching my girls enjoy the yard is worth the changes I had to make in my routine to keep them safe. Now we let them out to free range about 4-6 hours a day and only when we are in the yards with them.

Thank you so much! I have learned so much and I am great full to this community. So much encouragement and great advice. My 5 remaining are doing great!

Thank you! We have built our run within the fenced off goat area. The run will be fully enclosed 8' x 20' in a lean to fashion 8' height with a drop down to 6'. I do not know what to think about the dog trying to get into the enclosure, because as I have stated this is our and her first go round. I am more concerned about normal slips, the kids "letting her out" when the chickens are out. Or the run door being forgotten to get closed and the dog needing to go out and go potty. We are all trying to do our best, I have 2 boys, 8 and 10, and they are very vigilant now but I know things happen, mistakes get made. And I am with you that I will not be getting rid of my dog. Good luck in your endeavors! Will be seeing you around!

Thank you so much! I have learned so much already. Yes we were broken hearted but lesson learned. Not to downplay it but... you understand I am sure. I wish you the best of luck on your new upcoming babies! I feel so fortunate to belong to this community! Hope to see your babies soon!

Sorry don't agree... I raise aussies best help I've ever had on the farm. Yes they have killed when not sure of what they are doing but I have always been able to train them to not touch MY animals. Once a dog we aquired killed 9 embden geese and 10 breeding hens. After wearing a died chicken around his neck for 30 days and being told bad- bad for that time he would look the other way when a chicken or duck or goose came a round, but boy could he bring in the groundhogs from the fields and gardens. 75 the first year and 126 the second. Presently my aussies although they did kill a hen and learned that it was mine. In 2019 brought in 109 groundhogs not counting raccon and other vermin, and so far this year have brought in 14 groundhogs, 2 skunks, 9 oppussum, and 2 muskrats all that I told them that these animals where theirs. One hen that became a lesson was worth the protection from the coyotes, fox, raccoon, weasel, and other garden vermin that I have around my farmette all for the worth of one hen.
I have heard many times of the "wearing the dead chicked". Interesting idea but it makes sense and everyone who has spoken of it swears it works!

I’m so sorry this happened. But thank you so much for this post. I’m new to raising chickens and also had my first loss last Monday to one of my own dogs and felt like the. most. massive. failure. Reading this thread has been so therapeutic and helpful. Thank you so much for posting and opening the door for all of this support - that apparently we all need! (Thank god its not just me)

I wanted to comment and share what I am going to try with my dogs. We have a shock collar system with threshold barriers to keep our dogs from getting into the litter boxes in the house and they work for our dogs (a chi-pom and a lab-pit) so well that when we moved one of the litter boxes, they had to be really coaxed to come near the area that had previously been off limits. So I’ve ordered some of the “add a barrier” spots and I’m going to put them around our chicken tractor (the scene of our crime).

I saw someone else suggest a shock collar with a remote, which is great for training the dog when the chicks are grown and you are watching, but for now, something like this might be a better option. There’s a 3 second delay and then a warning beep before the static correction. My dogs rarely get buzzed because they hear that beep and they’re hightailing it out of there. That way it’s consistent for your dog and he can start to associate “too close to chickens = bad.”

Thank you! I am also surprised by what this thread has become and feel some relief that many of us are in the same boat, so to speak! I have been greatful for this community.

We have used hot wire around our fences. An old dog of ours who is now passed used to be an escapee. Our now dog keep away from any "string" as I believe it only took her one good shock to learn. I would be interested in learning more about the device you have!

"Pet Chickens & Ducks, post: 22575207, member: 487439"]
Thank you! I am currently on a waitlist to receive more chicks, however I am starting to question weather I will accept them. I do think I should focus on what I have. I am suspecting two cockerels. Which would leave me with three, four if I choose to keep one roo in my flock. I am concerned about the roo driving three hens crazy.

First, I am so sorry for your loss, it is crazy how attached you become to these little chicks! This is my first time too. Second, thank you for posting. I am so glad you did, because it may save more chicks (including mine), I have dogs too, and am now going to reinforce some of the protections at night. One of the dogs, a rescue that I am convinced is part coyote, just started noticing the chickens this week....and I means she didn't pay any attention and now all of a sudden she is salivating and licking her chops when she hears them.

Back
Top Bottom