Deworming struggles

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
I am using Safeguard (1.5 mL) for a 8 lb chicken.

She seemed to improve a bit in activeness after 2 days.

However, my schedule is super inconsistent. I missed a day a few days ago so I just went on, and now I am hesitant to give her another dose today because I am unsure if her crop is emptying fast enough.

Can I wait a week or so and try again, this time more efficiently? Or should I just finish this cycle?

Safeguard liquid goat dewormer or equine paste (10%) dosing is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once daily for 5 days in a row.

An 8lb hen would get a dose of 1.84ml to 2.0ml depending on if you round up to 0.25ml per pound.

I'd finish the 5 day period even if you skipped a day.

Is her crop not emptying? Is this the hen with reproductive problems?
Did you have a fecal float to confirm worms, or did you see worms in her poop?

Safeguard liquid goat dewormer or equine paste (10%) dosing is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once daily for 5 days in a row.

An 8lb hen would get a dose of 1.84ml to 2.0ml depending on if you round up to 0.25ml per pound.

I'd finish the 5 day period even if you skipped a day.

Is her crop not emptying? Is this the hen with reproductive problems?
Did you have a fecal float to confirm worms, or did you see worms in her poop?
Yes, it is my hen with carcinomatosis/ovarian cancer. She does poop but her poops are often small and green. Her crop does go down though. I think it just is a bit slow.

I suspected hairworms or something since when I gave her dewormer she noticeably perked up a bit...
I did not see any worms in her poop yet but I haven't examined it too deeply. I also cannot get a fecal float at the moment.

Yes, it is my hen with carcinomatosis/ovarian cancer. She does poop but her poops are often small and green. Her crop does go down though. I think it just is a bit slow.

I suspected hairworms or something since when I gave her dewormer she noticeably perked up a bit...
I did not see any worms in her poop yet but I haven't examined it too deeply. I also cannot get a fecal float at the moment.
Could she have been dehydrated?

Sadly, with her reproductive problems, poops can be off and quite small at times. I would think she has inflammation in the body and if there's tumors/cancer, those can continue to get larger and press against the digestive system and organs.

This also causes the crop to slow down.

It won't hurt to deworm her; I'd finish the course of treatment at the correct dose.

Could she have been dehydrated?

Sadly, with her reproductive problems, poops can be off and quite small at times. I would think she has inflammation in the body and if there's tumors/cancer, those can continue to get larger and press against the digestive system and organs.

This also causes the crop to slow down.

It won't hurt to deworm her; I'd finish the course of treatment at the correct dose.
I'm not sure, I see her drinking water but probably not enough. It is pretty hot here, so all my hens are drinking water.

It's sad, but for now she is still walking around, scratching around, eating, and drinking. And she is not losing weight. Her comb is still pretty red and she is very lively for treats.

I'm not sure, I see her drinking water but probably not enough. It is pretty hot here, so all my hens are drinking water.

It's sad, but for now she is still walking around, scratching around, eating, and drinking. And she is not losing weight. Her comb is still pretty red and she is very lively for treats.
Sounds like she's holding her own for now then.

I'd just finish the dewormer and let her do her thing.

Back
Top Bottom