deworming

darrell6601

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 16, 2018
The past couple of months we've had two chickens die, about a month apart. One had a 'dirty butt' and had quit eating, etc. When it died I just discarded the bird. When the second one died, which didn't really have a dirty butt, but she'd become lethargic, not eating, etc, and so when she died I conducted my own autopsy. Her intestine membranes had yellowish bumps all over, and part of her intestines looked normal, half looked collapsed and shriveled. My guy at the feed store is the one that suggested it might be worms. ?? I am awaiting some natural dewormer stuff (holistic horse??) to sprinkle on their pellets. We've had chickens going on 6-yrs and have never brought in outside birds, hatch and grow our own, and never really any problems other than dealing with heat/humidity, and we resolved that within one summer's experience. Any thoughts by those with more experience than us? Currently, all the other birds (approx 50) seem happy and doing well. Well.....other than they don't like this 100 degree weather any more than we do. :) Thanks in advance. -darrell

The past couple of months we've had two chickens die, about a month apart. One had a 'dirty butt' and had quit eating, etc. When it died I just discarded the bird. When the second one died, which didn't really have a dirty butt, but she'd become lethargic, not eating, etc, and so when she died I conducted my own autopsy. Her intestine membranes had yellowish bumps all over, and part of her intestines looked normal, half looked collapsed and shriveled. My guy at the feed store is the one that suggested it might be worms. ?? I am awaiting some natural dewormer stuff (holistic horse??) to sprinkle on their pellets. We've had chickens going on 6-yrs and have never brought in outside birds, hatch and grow our own, and never really any problems other than dealing with heat/humidity, and we resolved that within one summer's experience. Any thoughts by those with more experience than us? Currently, all the other birds (approx 50) seem happy and doing well. Well.....other than they don't like this 100 degree weather any more than we do. :) Thanks in advance. -darrell
I dust the feed with diatomaceous earth, and haven't had any issues whatsoever

Sorry for your losses . I dont have any experience with necropsy.
Did you make photos?

If I’d suspect it is some kind of parasite that caused their death I would probably send in some poop for a check. To be sure what the problem is.

Deworming is not healthy, giving the wrong medicines could even make things worse.
Lots of worms are visible with a normal microscope.

DE is a product that needs a long time to be helpful against parasites. Not sure if it can eliminate worms. I use DE in the sandbath and 2x a year I add dome to their fedd. I haven’t had a worm infestation in 10 years.

Unfortunately, that's not a wormer, it's also horrible for both your and your birds respiratory systems.
It's Basically asbestos, bad for you and the environment .
Yes it's not a wormer but it works, There's 2 types of it, the food grade diatomaceous earth been used for many many years, it's used in restaurants as a thickening agent so it's definitely not asbestos, the other type of diatomaceous earth yes I agree with you but food grade is perfectly safe

Yes it's not a wormer but it works, There's 2 types of it, the food grade diatomaceous earth been used for many many years, it's used in restaurants as a thickening agent so it's definitely not asbestos, the other type of diatomaceous earth yes I agree with you but food grade is perfectly safe
It doesn't work, that's the thing. At all.
The food grade is what I'm referring to, it's not safe, even more so since people use it because it's they think it's safe.
It isn't used in food prep, you're thinking of Montmorillonite, which is sometimes in de, which is actually barely used.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom